Jun Kang is a partner at the New York office specializing in U.S. tax and international tax. Mr. Kang is an experienced U.S. tax attorney regularly advising clients on a wide range of U.S. and international tax issues.
He has broad background and extensive knowledge in corporate tax structuring, focusing on capital market transactions (including IPOs, derivative securities offerings and other forms of capital market financing transactions), private fund formation and investment (including venture capital funds, private equity funds and hedge funds), mergers and acquisitions, tax planning and structuring for biotech, pharmaceutical, technology and internet companies, as well as tax planning for individuals (including structuring inbound and outbound investments and pre- and post-immigration tax planning with cross-border elements).
Mr. Kang's clients include investment banks, publicly traded companies, investment funds and high-net-worth individuals. Mr. Kang works extensively with legal and tax advisors in foreign jurisdictions, including EU countries and China, and helps clients in developing innovative and highly tax-advantaged structures in various jurisdictions. Mr. Kang also represents private clients in tax controversies before the United States Internal Revenue Service and U.S. federal and State courts. As a member of the Lexis Tax Attorney Customer Advisory Board, Mr. Kang advises LexisNexis, a leading legal research firm, in designing its LexisAdvance Tax Law website and he has also authored several topics in the Lexis Tax Practical Notes.
- Representing Chinese investors in purchasing a significant stake in a Virginia national bank.
- Representing Ironshore insurance company in its $2.3 billion sale to China's Fosun's International Ltd.
- Representing numerous publicly traded companies (Arch Capital Group Limited, ICON plc, 1800flowers, etc.) for mergers and acquisitions of target companies and dispositions of business segments.
- Representing a multi-billion private equity fund in fund formation and cross border investment.
- Representing non-U.S. investors in structuring U.S. investment and strategic acquisitions.
- Representing major investment banks (JPMorgan, Goldman Sachs, Bank of America, CITI Bank, Credit Suisse, UBC, etc.) in corporation financings and leveraged buyout financings.
- New York, New Jersey
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- Mandarin (native)
- English (native fluency)
- LL.B. from China University of Geosciences
- LL.M. from China University of Political Science & Law
- J.D. from Michigan State University College of Law
- LL.M. from New York University