Broad and deep experience in handling sophisticated U.S. tax planning and U.S. tax controversies
The U.S. tax team at King & Wood Mallesons has broad and deep experience in handling sophisticated U.S. tax planning and U.S. tax controversies. Our tax lawyers are always on the lookout for the latest developments from Congress, the United States Treasury and state and local taxing authorities.
The U.S. tax issues are prevalent in virtually all types of transactions with U.S. connections. The increasing complexity of U.S. tax regimes and ever-evolving regulatory landscape pose more challenges for clients in global transactions, wealth management, tax compliance and dispute resolutions. To effectively help clients navigate the U.S. taxation and uncover hidden value in a myriad of cross-border matters, our U.S. tax lawyers work closely with our clients, our colleagues across practices and our worldwide tax teams to deliver integrated U.S. tax solutions to achieve the optimal tax and business results.
Excellent service to fulfill complex tax challenges
KWM US attorneys combine tax expertise and legal knowledge associated with commercial transactions and litigation to help our clients unlock value in various US jurisdictions. Clients will benefit from our highly sophisticated and fully integrated tax services. We differentiate ourselves with our efficiency and commitment to working closely with you, understanding your needs, and developing optimal tax solutions for you.
Our clients look to us for guidance on a wide range of U.S. tax issues, including:
- Pre-IPO tax planning – we advise clients on both tried-and-true trust structures including taxable gifts, GRAT and IDGT and innovative structures that would place clients in an optimized after-tax position with respect to their shares in the company.
- Tax advice to private funds, including venture capital, private equity, hedge funds and crypto funds. We help structure funds to be tax efficient for investors in a wide variety of tax categories with a focus on the Asia-based investors. Our team also provides sophisticated tax advice to fund’s investment and exit transactions. Our cross-border experience combined with technical expertise, market knowledge and creativity help clients to achieve their economic objectives with optimized tax efficiency. Having worked with a number of crypto funds recently, we also have the expertise to help Cryptocurrency funds that conduct mining and investment activities.
- U.S. tax advice on executive compensation
- U.S. tax advice on real estate transactions and cross-border investment in U.S. real estate
- Tax advice on capital market transactions – we are regularly retained by major global institutions in developing tax-sensitive complex financial products and structures.
- U.S. tax dispute resolution, including voluntary disclosure, audit defense and litigations.
- Tax planning for start-ups and founders – working closely with start-ups and their founders, our tax attorneys have significant experience in corporate structures that are highly attractive to investors. We also help founders to structure their benefits and compensation in a tax-efficient manner.
Comprehensive, individualized advice on wealth management matters for high-net-worth individuals and privately-owned companies
The King & Wood Mallesons Private Clients and Wealth Management team has worked with many ultra-high net worth clients on their business and investment tax structures and tax and estate planning. This includes cross border trust and estate planning, where we work with our colleagues in Europe, the Middle East and Asia-Pacific as and when required.
We regularly help clients with:
- Trust formation and administration
- Structuring and forming family partnerships, joint ventures and property holding vehicles
- Pre-IPO tax planning for founders and company executives
- Pre-immigration and post-immigration tax planning
- Representing clients before the IRS regarding Tax Audits and delinquent tax filings, including obtaining material late filing and late payment penalty waivers and representing clients in contesting major tax assessment
In working with clients, we pride ourselves on providing tailored legal advice to meet each of our client’s unique objectives.