Delivering a First Class Service
The King & Wood Mallesons team act on the energy and resources projects that the world takes notice of – across each and every stage of a project’s lifecycle, remaining nimble enough to adapt to market changes, yet still leading the way on the largest and most complex transactions.
The team has particularly strong capability in M&A, joint ventures, corporate structuring (and restructuring), project finance and site assembly, advising clients across all technologies including:
- CCGT/ gas power projects
- Onshore and offshore wind (including land based infrastructure)
- Solar and PV
- Biomass and anaerobic digestion
- Energy from Waste
- Interconnectors and offshore transmission
- Battery storage, grid reinforcement and demand response
- Hydro and tidal
We act for investors, developers, financiers and private equity funds on structuring their investments. From M&A and joint ventures across the asset classes to cleantech build-outs, solar megaprojects and on and offshore wind farm projects, the global power and energy sector is filled with opportunity. For those investing, it’s a space primed for growth, with success depending on the ability to manage rapidly advancing technologies, increasing regulatory demands, market subsidies (or lack thereof) and offtake risk. We thrive on being proactive and creative to deliver successful projects.
Our team comprises leading experts in their field. With extensive careers advising nuclear industry participants including sponsors, investors and financiers, as well as regulatory bodies and other industry participants, the team has advised across both new build and decommissioning.
Our experts specialise in international nuclear power and uranium mine transactions, in both emerging and the more established markets. We deliver a complete legal service supporting the nuclear value chain. Our clients include governments, Chinese SOEs and international nuclear companies around the world.
We have an exceptionally strong track record in providing a service that is responsive, cost-effective, user-friendly, technically excellent and innovative whilst taking account of the relevant policy and regulatory framework, all delivered in the context of the cultural and commercial objectives of our clients.
Our selected energy and resources experience includes
- EDF Renewables on the selldown of a 49% stake in onshore and offshore UK wind farms in a deal with an enterprise value of £1.4 billion
- Climate Change Capital on its investments in both Renewable Zukunft (a company which is building and financing biogas plants) and Climate Energy Limited (an adviser on low carbon solutions)
- Zouk Ventures on its investment in Solar Century, in SiC Processing AG, in SULFURCEL Solartechnik and in Nanotrol Technologies
- UBS AG in Hong Kong and Morgan Stanley Asia Limited in relation to IPO of LDK Solar Co., Ltd (“LDR”) in NYSE. LDR is a vertically integrated manufacturer of photovoltaic products
- China General Nuclear Power Corporation on its c£10 billion co-investment alongside EDF, Areva and CNNC in the 3.2GW Hinkley C project and its investment in the Sizewell C and Bradwell B nuclear power plants in the UK
- Magnox Ltd on the first of a kind transaction for the sale and relicensing of nuclear facilities designated for decommissioning under the Energy Act 2004, releasing these assets for future nuclear decommissioning supply chain operations
- Nuclear Decommissioning Authority on the c£500 million disposal of Capenhurst, with particular focus on legacy decommissioning and contaminated land remediation
- South32 - Advised on its multi-billion demerger from BHP Billiton and listing on the London Stock Exchange of mining assets in Africa, including South Africa and Mozambique.
- Verny Capital - Advised on the sale to Glencore of a US$6 billion minority stake in Kazzinc, a major fully integrated zinc producer based in Kazakhstan.
- Capital Dynamics on the re-organisation of its clean energy fund and other ongoing matters A consortium of investors in relation to a mining joint venture in Congo