Bringing UK education to China
China represents an incredible opportunity for UK education institutes, enterprises and schools – a massive and growing middle class; mobile students eager to travel the world; middle class parents planning to send their offspring overseas for university; and industries in desperate need of upskilling workers through vocational training.
There has been a major increase in the amount of capital being invested into the Chinese education sector as well as the number of UK schools and universities interacting with China.
Education is more than schools and universities. Edtech and edutainment are hot new sectors. In addition, non-education players are also barging into the sector. New entrants range from internet giants (such as Alibaba and Tencent) to real estate developers. Another impetus has been China’s internet and mobile revolution which has increased the influence and relevance of online education. Despite the opportunity, China is by no means an easy market. The education sector is sensitive and tightly regulated. Different cultural norms may mean that Western entities need to tread more lightly in the classroom and online than they do in their home countries.
How we can help
We advise on all education issues across:
- Strategic and legal advice
- Review of structure, costs, strategy and efficiencies
- IP protection and branding
- Liaising with PRC authorities
- Partner identification and introductions
- Due diligence on Chinese partner(s)
- Drafting documentation
- Advising on regulatory issues
- Negotiation support
- Day to day legal advice
Our experience includes advising
- Harrow School: on-going advice on its China schools and education projects
- Various leading UK independent schools – in Sussex, Dorset, London and York: advising on licensing projects with Chinese partners to open schools in China
- MOOCs such as Coursera and Skillsoft: advising on their China market entry
- Immersive companies: advising on their education related projects
- Chinese conglomerate: advising on the establishment of China-licensed schools of a leading Cambridge based UK independent school.
- Chinese conglomerate: advising on the establishment of China-licensed schools of a leading Scottish independent school.
- AlphaPlus Group: advising UK education group on China market entry via different cooperation models including licensing, consulting and joint ventures.
- Elite Education: advising on their red chip listing on the NYSE
- Firma Felix Oehmann: advising on China online business and foreign school project
- TutorGroup: advising on daily corporate matters
- University of Sydney: preparing advice on strategy regarding China, including regulatory requirements, intellectual property and governance issues.
- University of Technology Sydney: assisted with establishing SILC Business School with Shanghai University.
- Open University, UK: assisted with its cooperation with the Open University of China with regard to a collaborative teaching project.