Mark Upfold is our Australian sector leader for infrastructure and specialises in privatisations, PPP/PFI, infrastructure, water, project financing, energy and resources and complex financing transactions. Mark also co leads the Australian Government sector team.
Mark has worked on many of Australia’s leading infrastructure M&A and greenfield transactions including recently:
- In late 2021, helping the Sydney Transport Partners consortium to take full ownership of WestConnex (with an enterprise value of $33b);
- In late 2021, advising AustralianSuper on its divestment of part of its equity in Ausgrid;
- In late 2021, advising Qube Holdings Limited on its monetisation of the warehousing at Moorebank Logistics Precinct for $1.67B
- In 2021, advising on the acquisition of equity in the New England Correctional PPP project;
- In 2021, advising an equity investor in relation to a bid for the Frankston Hospital PPP;
- In 2021, advising the debt provider on the Victorian social and affordable housing PPP;
- In 2021, advising the lenders on the Gold Coast Light Rail stage 3 project;
- In 2020, advising Wrenhouse Infrastructure on its divestment of its stake in Transgrid;
- In 2019, advising MIRA on its divestment of Hobart Airport;
- In 2019, advising Nexif Energy on its lease of gas turbine generating units from the South Australian Government.
Mark has over 30 years of experience with infrastructure and energy and notes the NSW Desalination Project, Royal North Hospital PPP, Reliance Rail PPP, the Port of Newcastle privatisation, the Darwin Convention and Exhibition Centre PPP and the Northern Territory Corrections Precinct as particularly rewarding over a longer period of time.