David has over 37 years' experience in providing contentious and non-contentious tax advice and conducts a varied practice which covers all aspects of revenue law.
He has particular experience with advising upon financial services and financial transactions; including innovative financial products, derivatives, securitisations, sale and leasebacks, structured finance and infrastructure projects.
David also advises upon indirect taxes, M&A, international taxation, tax audits and conducts tax litigation. David also specialises in infrastructure, where he advises clients such as Interlink.
David's expertise extends to after project close, where he provides taxation advice on the ongoing management, structure and operation of infrastructure projects.
David's work highlights include:
- Victoria Power Networks: Major tax litigation against the Commissioner of Taxation concerning the appropriate taxation treatment of certain cash and asset receipts arising from the connection of new customers.
- Comcast Corporation: Acted for Comcast in its hostile bid for Twenty-First Century Fox, Inc in competition with The Walt Disney Company.
- Anti Hybrid Legislation: Represented securitisation clients in representations to Treasury and the ATO regarding the proposed anti-hybrid rules.
- COVID funding for securitisation industry: Acted for the Australian Securitisation Forum on behalf of the Australian securitisation industry in advising upon the taxation aspects of COVID-19 funding for securitisation vehicles.
- QCLNG: David acted for another major infrastructure investor in relation to a bid for the common facilities used in the QCLNG plant.