Hong Kong’s status as an international financial centre and a global offshore RMB hub has continued from strength to strength
Supported by Government policies such as the Joint Opinion on the development of the globally significant Greater Bay Area (GBA), the expansion of the Qianhai economic cooperation zone and the 14th Five-Year Plan, it is envisioned that Hong Kong will play a significant role in the enhancement of the GBA’s financial services industry, including the “opening up” of financial markets within the GBA, promoting cross border investments and driving innovation in the financial services industry.
First choice for China and international cross-border financing and investment
We continue to help industry bodies and clients to shape, navigate and prepare for regulatory developments in this dynamic sector, and frequently advise on first-to-market opportunities.
As our client, you benefit from our deep understanding of how financial products are developed, and our extensive understanding of the practices of the latest requirements, and how to communicate with Hong Kong’s regulators.
We have exceptional experience in advising clients on the GBA’s financial services initiatives and innovative international products including:
- Northbound and Southbound Bond Connect. We assisted China Foreign Exchange Trade System (CFETS) with the implementation of Northbound trading under Bond Connect when it launched in 2017, as well as the Southbound Bond Connect in September 2021.
- Advising on the first Hong Kong-incorporated special purpose insurer authorised by the Insurance Authority to issue insurance-linked securities in Hong Kong.
- Assisting Hang Seng Bank Limited (Hang Seng Bank) on the first-in-market SFC authorised unlisted equity linked investment over US-listed stocks in Hong Kong.
- Wealth Management Connect (WMC). We advise on WMC business models of several international financial institutions, and leading local banks in Hong Kong and the Mainland.
Multi-disciplinary local and global expertise
Our clients include all major international, regional, Chinese Mainland and Hong Kong local banks and corporations, insurance companies, asset managers, and private equity firms.
We advise on deals of all sizes and structural complexity, and those that involve cross-border issues. We have an impressive and established track record across a range of services, including:
- Asset & aircraft finance
- Acquisition and privatisation finance
- Bank lending, refinancing and debt restructuring
- Debt capital markets
- Equity capital markets
- Green finance and ESG
- Financial disputes
- Financial services regulation
- Project finance
- Structured finance, derivatives, and securitisation
Help shaping the market
With one of the strongest reputations in the market for managing complex regulatory issues, our lawyers are invited in close-door regulatory discussions and regularly contribute to white papers and thought leadership for government bodies and associations. We have worked with the Financial Services Development Council (FSDC), Securities and Futures Commission (SFC), Asia Securities Industry & Financial Markets Association (ASIFMA) and International Swaps and Derivatives Association (ISDA).
This relationship with government and regulatory authorities in Hong Kong, together with our ability to advise on PRC and offshore law means we are trusted by our clients to work on their most significant and complex projects including, for example, the ground-breaking launch of the first batch of virtual banks in Hong Kong and the creation of a Mainland spot commodity trading platform.