James is a Partner in the Perth Dispute Resolution Group with over 15 years' experience, specialising in complex commercial and corporate disputes in Australia and internationally arising in the energy and resources, financial services and property sectors.
James is known for being strategically focussed and having an ability to identify the key issues in a dispute that would drive the ultimate outcome. James spent two years working as a Senior Legal Counsel for a large construction and contract mining company in which his in-house background equips him with a good understanding and perception of the demands of in-house lawyers and clients.
His broad practice includes undertaking advisory work and conducting litigation in relation to complex contractual and construction disputes, international arbitrations, joint venture disputes, shareholder and Board disputes, director/officer duties, leasing and property disputes, general corporate disputes (including schemes of arrangement under the Corporations Act and insolvency dispute), and defamation matters.
James has ranked in the Best Lawyers publication, specialising in Litigation and Mining Law for the past two years. He was also listed as Recommended in Doyle's Guide for Leading Commercial Litigation and Dispute Resolution Lawyers, WA for 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020.
James' work highlights include:
- Commonwealth Bank of Australia and Lloyds Bank: acting for financiers in the Supreme Court of Western Australia in relation to the enforcement of their security over the Raine Square development and an associated $600m damages claim.
- Heilongjiang Feng AO Agricultural & Animal Husbandry Group Co Pty Ltd: advising an Australian company established by a Chinese state owned enterprise in relation to a wide range of issues including the recovery of its $41 million debt through proceedings in the Supreme Court of Western Australia.
- Funds management company: acting for an institutional investor in judicial review proceedings concerning a decision of the Takeovers Panel.
- Confidential client: assisting a client to resolve a dispute against a statutory body in relation to the fees and charges payable levied pursuant to statutory powers. The dispute was resolved after a two day mediation.
- Senate Inquiry: acting for a client in relation to a Senate Inquiry into Aboriginal Heritage.
- International regulator advice: acting for a ASX listed company in relation to investigations by an international regulator regarding alleged cartel conduct.
Professional memberships: Australian Asian Lawyers Association Inc. Institute of Arbitrators and Mediators Australia Law Society of Western Australia Law Reporting Advisory Board.