James is a Partner and the Head of the Dispute Resolution Group. James specialises in complex commercial and corporate disputes arising in the energy and resources, financial services and property sectors. James is known for being strategically focussed and having an ability to identify the key issues in a dispute that would drive the ultimate outcome.
James' broad practice includes undertaking advisory work and conducting litigation in relation to complex contractual and construction disputes, international arbitrations, joint venture disputes, shareholder and Board disputes, director/officer duties, leasing and property disputes, general corporate disputes (including under the Corporations Act and insolvency disputes), and defamation matters.
James has consistently featured in Best Lawyers, specialising in Litigation and Mining Law. James has also been listed as "Leading" in the Leading Commercial Litigation and Dispute Resolution category of Doyles Guide.
James' work highlights include:
- Commonwealth Bank of Australia and Lloyds Bank: acting for financiers in the Supreme Court of Western Australia and High Court in relation to the enforcement of their security over the Raine Square development and an associated $600m damages claim against the financiers.
- Consolidated Minerals Pty Limited: acting for Consolidated Minerals Pty Ltd against the Minister for Mines and Petroleum regarding the calculation for royalties payable to the State of Western Australia.
- ASX 100 Energy Company: strategic advice regarding risks of climate related litigation in relation to key business decisions made by the Board.
- Senate Inquiry: acting for a client in relation to a Senate Inquiry into Aboriginal Heritage.
- ASIC Investigation: acting for a client in relation to insider trading investigations by ASIC.
- International regulator advice: acting for a ASX listed company in relation to investigations by an international regulator regarding alleged cartel conduct.
- LCIA arbitration: acting for a respondent in a LCIA arbitration commenced in the London Court of International Arbitration. The dispute related to a petroleum JV concerning an area off the African coast.
- UNCITRAL arbitration: acting in UNCITRAL arbitration relating to a joint venture dispute over a Tanzanian mining venture.
- ACIC arbitration: acting in ACICA arbitration relating to disputes arising under a long-term gas supply agreement.