Combining commercial experience and technical expertise for the consumer and retail sector
In the consumer and retail sector, customers come first. At King & Wood Mallesons, we agree and provide quality service, adapted specifically to retail and consumer companies. With our experienced intellectual property, mergers and acquisitions, real estate, anti-trust and regulatory, commercial and employment lawyers, we see our consumer and retail clients’ businesses from all angles.
We have worked with a wide range of retailers and consumer brands, providing on the ground support to help them expand into national and international markets.
Our multidisciplinary retail & consumer team advises on:
- Corporate and commercial law, including relationships with suppliers, franchises, distribution, agency, publicity, and consumer rights
- Real estate and planning for the opening of retail establishments
- Public law, including specific regulations on retail trade
- Intellectual property and e-commerce
- Litigation related to the activity of retail trade
Some of our experience in the retail sector includes advising:
- Worten on the transfer of 17 stores located in Spain to MediaMarkt.
- Sonae on several acquisitions in the Spanish market, including the multinational Losan, the on-line supermarket Ulabox, the fashion company Salsa Jeans and Perfumerías Arenal.
- Ladbrokes on the joint venture with the Spanish game company Cirsa and the integration of the two online businesses in Spain and Latin America.
- Sonae on an arbitration proceeding against Boulanger before the ICC.
- Leroy Merlin on the purchase of several plots of lands and the development of shopping centers.
- A German fashion group on several tax matters related to its business in Spain.