Expert and experienced energy and infrastructure lawyers
Are you looking for a global legal team in energy, resources and infrastructure that will be with you every step of the way? At King & Wood Mallesons we offer you exactly that.
The King & Wood Mallesons team acts on the energy and resources projects that the world takes notice of – across each and every stage of a project’s lifecycle -, remaining nimble enough to adapt to market changes, yet still leading the way on the largest and most complex transactions.
Over the last 10 years, King & Wood Mallesons has been consistently involved in the main energy and infrastructure deals taking place not only in Spain but in Europe. We can offer a 360º degree approach having advised international and national industrial players, financial investors, financiers, equipment manufacturers, project developers, constructors, operations, off-takers and regulatory authorities.
Ranked firm in Legal 500, Chambers & Partners and Best Lawyers
The areas of law relating to projects, energy and resources include:
- Strategic legal advice
- Efficient transaction structuring from a regulatory and tax perspective
- Negotiation and execution of the transaction documents (SPA, APA, etc.)
- Joint ventures, shareholders and co-investment agreements
- Advice on the limitations and requirements applicable in regulated sectors and the necessary permits
- Development of electricity production projects (conventional and renewable energy), transmission and distribution networks of gas and electricity
- Development of public and private infrastructure projects (PPP)
- Advice on ongoing normal operations and commercial issues of operators of energy and infrastructure
- Advice on public and private contractual issues (public bids, EPC, BoP, O&M, network access, telecommunication, distribution, transmission of gas and liquid hydrocarbons, etc.)
- Environmental advice
- Power Purchase Agreements (PPA).
Some of our main deals include advising:
- EDP on the transaction agreed with Macquarie that included the acquisition of Viesgo Distribution (75.1%) and Viesgo Coal (100%), as well as the transfer of 24.9% of EDP's Distribution business (E-Redes). Deal value: €2.7 billion.
- Galp on the acquisition from ACS Group of a portfolio of operating and under development PV projects in Spain with an expected installed capacity of 2.9 GW. Deal value: €2.2 billion.
- DWS on the sale of Arenales Solar CSP plant (50 MW) to the investment fund Cubico.
- EDP Renováveis on its agreement with Engie to create Ocean Winds, a co-controlled 50/50 joint venture, as the exclusive vehicle for the development of their worldwide offshore wind energy business, including the contribution to the projects under construction and under development held by each of EDP Renováveis and Engie.
- MAPFRE on its joint venture with Iberdrola for the investment in renewable energy projects.
- Advice on the sale of Novenergia Holding Company, S.A. to Total Eren. Deal value: over €1.1 billion.