Areas of Practice
Vincent Filardo, Jr. practices in complex federal civil and criminal litigation with expertise and experience in commercial contract disputes, intellectual property disputes, including trademark and copyright infringement actions, trade secret and unfair competition, business tort, defamation, employment disputes, white collar, regulatory and civil fraud defense and prosecution, and U.S. government and corporate investigations. His work covers a wide range of industries including technology, pharmaceuticals, fashion, arts and entertainment, telecoms, and banking and finance, representing entrepreneurs and domestic and international corporate entities. Vincent has experience in all phases of civil and criminal litigation, including trial and appellate experience, and in complex corporate internal investigations.
The following are examples of representative matters Mr. Filardo has worked on:
INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY / ANTI - COUNTERFEITING
• Representation of a Japanese asset management firm as defendant in a breach of contract, trademark infringement, unfair competition, and misappropriation action in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois. The case settled on terms favorable to the client before trial and after all, but one claim was dismissed on summary judgment.
• Representation of an international natural resources company in a federal trademark infringement and unfair competition action resulting from an international investment banking network’s use of their mark and alleged association with the company. At the close of discovery, the action settled on terms highly favorable to the client.
• Representation of a pharmaceutical importer/exporter and its principal in an action brought by a U.S. pharmaceutical conglomerate alleging violations of the U.S. Trademark Anti-Counterfeiting Act and seeking expedited discovery, a freeze order, and assets seizure and forfeiture. The case settled on terms favorable to the client.
• Representation of a boutique manufacturer of luxury apparel and accessories in a trademark infringement and unfair competition action against an American multinational footwear manufacturer.After preliminary injunctive practice, the matter was settled on terms favorable to client.
• Served as lead counsel to a class of visual artists (including photographers and illustrators) in prosecuting the largest copyright infringement class-action ever filed. This case was against Google, Inc., challenging its various programs for digitizing printed matter in all forms that includes the work of the artists in the class. The case settled on terms favorable to the plaintiffs.
COMMERCIAL LITIGATION / FRAUD / REPUTATIONAL DEFENSE
• Representation of an online publisher, author and affiliate companies as defendants in a civil action alleging defamation in connection with a digital news story concerning the Florida reinsurance industry.
• Representation of an international fine wine distributor as defendant in a civil action alleging counterfeiting and conspiracy to sell counterfeit rare and fine wines with the notorious wine counterfeiter Rudy Kurniawan. After discovery, the case settled on terms favorable to the client.
• Representation of an international natural resources conglomerate and its director as defendants in a civil action alleging violations of the federal Racketeering Influenced and Corrupt Organizations (RICO) Act based upon Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) predicate acts. All claims against the clients were dismissed by the presiding district court judge.
• Representation of an international asset holding and management company as secured creditor and defendant to counterclaims in an action to recover security from the bankruptcy estate of an international automobile parts manufacturer. The case settled on terms favorable to the client.
• Representation of a digital media company and its principal as defendants in a civil action alleging defamation and conspiracy in connection with the publication of digital news stories concerning the purported murder of a foreign political figure’s alleged mistress. All claims against the clients were dismissed by the presiding district court judge.
CORPORATE INVESTIGATIONS / WHITE COLLAR / REGULATORY DEFENSE
• Representation of a nationally renowned sports licensing and apparel company and its principal as defendant in a civil action alleging violations of New York’s and New Jersey’s commercial bribery statutes and the federal Racketeering Influenced and Corrupt Organizations (RICO) Act based upon Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) predicate acts, and a related federal criminal investigation. The RICO criminal investigation resulted in a finding of no criminal wrongdoing and was closed without further action, and the civil action was settled prior to trial without the defendant paying any funds to the plaintiff.
• Representation of the former CEO of a French energy conglomerate in connection with a federal FCPA investigation into the alleged payment of bribes to Nigerian government officials by a consortium of foreign and U.S.-based energy and oil companies. The inquiry was concluded with no action against the client.
• Representation of a large U.S. and international financial conglomerate in connection with a nationwide federal False Claims Act and California state False Claims Act investigations, a related civil qui tam action, and related arbitration. At the conclusion of the investigation, all charges were resolved favorably to the client.
• Representation of a high-profile Texas entrepreneur in connection with an internal corporate investigation concerning management misconduct in his majority-owned boutique electronics manufacturing concern. At the close of the investigation, the then-CEO admitted wrongdoing and assisted in identification of co-conspirators resulting in settlement and substantial restitution.
• Representation of U.S. defendants in high-profile investigations concerning (i) a New York City university and alleged shakedowns of on-campus students and racketeering by university employees, (ii) an international banking conglomerate’s alleged business association with entities and individuals related to Nazi war crimes, and (iii) a banking concern’s employee violation of the Bank Secrecy Act on behalf of a publicly known client.
Vincent joined King & Wood Mallesons in January 2020, prior to which Vincent was a senior partner and head of the litigation practice group at Mishcon de Reya New York, LLP.
Vincent earned a bachelor’s degree in civil engineering from Lafayette College and a master’s degree in Environmental Science from Montclair State University. He graduated magna cum laude from the Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, where he was a member of the Cardozo Law Review and Order of the Coif.
Vincent is licensed to practice in all Trial and Appellate Courts in the State of New York, theUnited States District Court for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York, the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York, and the United States Court of Appeals for the Second, Fifth and D.C. Circuits. He also regularly appears pro hac vice in all state and federal courts throughout the United States.
Vincent's working language is English.