Mr. Kang is a partner of New York office specializing in U.S. tax and international tax.
Areas of Practice
Mr. Kang is an experienced U.S. tax attorney regularly advising clients on a wide range of U.S. and international tax issues. He has broad background and extensive knowledge in corporate tax structuring, focusing on capital market transactions (including IPOs, derivative securities offerings and other forms of capital market financing transactions), private fund formation and investment (including venture capital funds, private equity funds and hedge funds), mergers and acquisitions, tax planning and structuring for biotech, pharmaceutical, technology and internet companies, as well as tax planning for individuals (including structuring inbound and outbound investments and pre- and post-immigration tax planning with cross-border elements).
Mr. Kang’s clients include investment banks, publicly traded companies, investment funds and high-net-worth individuals. Mr. Kang works extensively with legal and tax advisors in foreign jurisdictions, including EU countries and China, and helps clients in developing innovative and highly tax-advantaged structures in various jurisdictions. Mr. Kang also represents private clients in tax controversies before the United States Internal Revenue Service and U.S. federal and State courts.
As a member of the Lexis Tax Attorney Customer Advisory Board, Mr. Kang advises LexisNexis, LexisNexis(a leading global provider of legal, regulatory and business information and analytics), in designing its LexisAdvance Tax Law website and he has also authored several topics in the Lexis Tax Practical Notes.
- Mr. Kang joined King & Wood Mallesons in New York in 2018. Prior to joining KWM, he was with another major law firm in New York City for more than a decade. Early in his career, Mr. Kang also practiced law in China, including as in-house legal counsel at a major Chinese corporation.
- Mr. Kang earned a J.D. from Michigan State University College of Law (summa cum laude) and an LL.M. in Taxation from New York University School of Law.
- Mr. Kang is admitted to practice in the State of New York and the State of New Jersey. Mr. Kang is also admitted to the U.S. Court of Federal Claims.
- Mr. Kang’s working languages are English and Mandarin Chinese.
- New York University, LL.M., Taxation, 2003
- Michigan State University College of Law, J.D., 2002, summa cum laude
- China University of Political Science & Law, Master of Law, 1996
- China University of Geosciences, Bachelor of Law, 1990, summa cum laude