Download Chinese version / 下载中文简历
Dorothy has a thorough knowledge of international commercial and investment disputes helping clients achieve their objectives regardless of jurisdiction or legal system.
As a result of this cross-border proficiency, Dorothy has acted on a rich mix of global cases. Much of this work involves international disputes representing clients such as governments, oligarchs, funds, corporates or high net worth individuals.
Dorothy has experience of managing both arbitration and litigation disputes in common and civil law jurisdictions and under a wide range of arbitral rules, including ICSID, UNCITRAL, LCIA and ICC. She also advises clients in High Court litigation and mediations, typically in disputes involving fraud and injunctive relief.
Described by Global Arbitration Review as a “name to know”, Legal 500 as an “experienced practitioner” and Legal Week as a “rising star”.
Show moreShow less
- Obtaining a positive award for Ukraine in US$270 million UNCITRAL arbitration proceedings, brought by LSE listed oil and gas company JKX under the UK-Ukraine BIT, which alleged unlawful imposition of tax measures.
- Defending a major Russian telecoms group against the enforcement of an US$220 million LCIA award. The dispute, which totalled US$1 billion, involved strategy and advice in several jurisdictions - including England, the British Virgin Islands, the Seychelles, Luxembourg and the Isle of Man – and three further LCIA arbitrations (matter concluded to our client’s satisfaction).
- Representing Naftogaz Ukrayiny, Ukraine’s national petroleum company, against several entities controlled by Ukrainian oligarch Igor Kolomoisky and his associates, in LCIA proceedings in a shareholder dispute relating to control over Ukrnafta, Ukraine’s largest oil producer majority-owned by Naftogaz.
- Defending Ukraine in ICSID arbitration proceedings in relation to a US$137 million claim made under the UK-Ukraine BIT by a British property investor, Krederi Ltd, alleging expropriation of a real estate project in Ukraine’s capital Kiev.
- Representing the Kyrgyz Republic in English court proceedings challenging the Tribunal’s jurisdiction in a US$118 million UNCITRAL dispute by Canadian miner Stans Energy Corp, alleging expropriation of its rights to a world’s largest rare earth metals mine
- Engaged by one of the joint venture partners in a wind farm power project in an ICC arbitration dispute about pre-emption rights worth over €30 million.
- Advising an international investment bank in a US$32 million claim in a confidential LCIA arbitration against a commodity group arising from a number of structured finance contracts.
- Assisting a UK based investment bank in a US$55 million private claim arising from alleged LIBOR manipulation.
- Representing a minority shareholder in a Russian open pit coke mine in proceedings in Cyprus alleging unfair prejudice and claiming over US$500 million.
- Securing fraudulently misappropriated funds for an investment fund by obtaining a freezing order on 38 hours’ notice, and ultimately securing a 98% recovery (circa US$3 million), highly unusual in a fraud claim.
- Representing FX broker FXCM Securities in its successful claim in the English Commercial Court against a director and senior employee for fraud and breach of fiduciary duties.
- Acting for international market research company Ipsos SA in relation to its UK High Court claim against Dentsu Aegis plc for fraudulent misrepresentation and breach of warranty arising out of a £500 million acquisition, and advising on related expert determinations
- Dorothy is a member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and the ISDA Arbitration Committee.