We shape law and practice covering pharmaceuticals and medical devices
With a full service practice, we leverage our expertise in the key areas of law that affect our pharmaceutical and medical device clients. By integrating intellectual property, commerce and technology expertise with our competition and regulatory experience, we enable you to both maximise opportunities and manage your business challenges.
Our legal advice assists at all stages of the product life cycle – from the laboratory to the household and beyond. And clients rely on our law firm for critical commercial and regulatory guidance.
We advise pharmaceutical companies (both originators and generics), biotechnology companies, research and development companies and medical devices manufacturers on:
- Patent, Supplementary Protection Certificate and other intellectual property litigation
- Regulatory law
- Competition and anti-trust issues
- Licensing and commercial exploitation
- Commercial dispute resolution (including product liability, competition litigation and regulatory litigation)
- Marketing and advertising issues
- Brand clearance, protection, exploitation and enforcement
- Corporate advice (including fund formation, capital raising, corporate structures, joint ventures, tax, mergers and acquisitions, takeovers and de-mergers)
- Finance, advising both lenders and borrowers.
Show moreShow less
Our law firm’s experience in pharmaceuticals and medical devices includes advising:
- Varian Medical Systems in relation to the negotiation of a Government Information Technology Contracting (GITC) agreement for the supply and support of complex IT systems
- Telstra on the regulatory aspects of developing its High Definition TeleHealth Care
- Colgate-Palmolive on registering Colgate Sensitive Pro-Relief (CSPR) as a medical device, through negotiations with the Australian Government’s Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA)
- Alphapharm and Watson Pharmaceuticals in patent litigation matters
- Aspen Pharmacare in the Permax class action
- Pfizer on a US$50 million divestment of its animal vaccine business to Harbin Pharmaceuticals
- Shanghai Pharmaceuticals Holding Lists on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange
- A major international pharmaceutical company on the clearance and adoption of its new over-the-counter (OTC) branding
- Watson Pharmaceuticals on the acquisition of Belgium-based development company Uteron Pharma for US$150 million in cash up-front, and up to US$155 million in potential future milestone payments
- Pharmaceutical companies in all of the leading investigations by the European Commission and UK Office of Fair Trading relating to alleged anti-competitive practices and originator / generic patent settlement agreements for perindopril, citalopram and paroxetine.
"Powerhouse for life sciences matters in core areas including corporate and commercial deals, patent litigation and regulatory affairs."
See our Life Sciences & Healthcare Update and Alert for the latest news and insights across the EU.