Areas of Practice
Patric McGonigal is a Legal Consultant based in the Singapore office of King & Wood Mallesons.
Patric specialises in alternative dispute resolution, international arbitration, and commercial litigation. He covers a broad range of commercial, international trade, energy, construction & infrastructure, anti-bribery & corruption, shipping & insurance matters.
Patric has substantial experience in both London (for over 10 years) and Asia where has practised for over 14 years, based in Singapore, Shanghai, Hong Kong and Tokyo. He therefore has genuine multi-jurisdictional and multi-cultural experience and the necessary understanding to be able to assist clients in Asia solve their international claims and disputes in efficient, commercial and business friendly ways.
Patric is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (FCIArb), as well as a member of various ADR bodies, including the Singapore International Arbitration Centre’s Users Council, the Singapore International Mediation Centre (SIMC) Specialist (Japan) Panel; a SIMC Specialist (Infrastructure) Panel; and the Japan International Mediation Center Panel.
He has extensive experience of conducting arbitrations before the LCIA, ICC, SIAC, LMAA, HKIAC, JCAA, FOSFA & GAFTA as well as having handled numerous cases reported from the Commercial Court and Court of Appeal in London.
He is a dual qualified solicitor of England & Wales and barrister (Ireland).
- Advising a Japanese construction company on a substantial claim for delays in the design and construction of an airport in SE Asia
- Advising a buyer in Guangzhou, China in relation to a potential HKIAC arbitration concerning a European seller’s failure to maintain IP rights and a sales contract default
- Advising Japanese trading houses on foreign law governed trade disputes in Singapore, New York and London concerning the sale of soybeans, coal, iron ore, calcined pitch coke, steel and other commodities
- Representing a Japanese construction company in significant multi-party disclosure proceedings in Western Australia
- Representing a major Japanese power company in AAA arbitration proceedings on a CDM related documentary credit dispute involving South American sellers
- Acting in a carbon credit dispute between Chinese sellers and a Japanese trading house subject to PCA arbitration in Singapore
- Acting for US manufacturers in SIAC arbitration proceedings in Singapore in defending a claim concerning an exclusive international distribution agreement
- Advising on a major a shipbuilding dispute with a Chinese yard
- Advising a Chinese logistics company in connection with a C/P dispute with an insolvent shipowner
- Advising a major Japanese contractor on a road project in Jakarta and a SIAC arbitration claim worth US$100 million
- Representing a Japanese manufacturer in an ICC Singapore dispute concerning the sale of seven compressors for a project in India with a contract value of US$77 million
- Acting for a Japanese trading house in expedited JCAA arbitration proceedings against a Korean chemicals buyer
- Representing a Japanese contractor in Indian law governed ICC arbitration proceedings in Singapore relating to the construction of LNG storage tanks in India
- Representing a leading global agri-business based in Singapore in GAFTA arbitration proceedings relating to the non-performance of a substantial rice contract
- Advising a Singapore headquartered trading house in relation to various veg oil disputes in Europe and SE Asia (e.g. soybean and palm oil)
Patric has been recognised by Chambers & Partners, Legal 500 Asia Pacific in their shortlist of Key Individuals with client testimony including:
"Patric McGonigal is at the center of the burgeoning dispute practice, and is described by clients as "accessible, astute, well informed, to the point and amenable." (Chambers)
“..practice head Patric McGonigal is highly respected in the field and ‘his knowledge of dispute resolution and the strategies of ICC arbitrations is absolutely excellent’” (Legal 500 Asia Pacific)
“Patric McGonigal is ‘very experienced and knowledgeable’ and ‘an attorney the client can rely on.’” (Legal 500 Asia Pacific)
“Patric McGonigal is well regarded by peers, and clients say they would "recommend him highly." He has over two decades of litigation experience, and acts for clients on disputes relating to shipping, commodities and insurance, among other matters.” “I was very impressed,” said one client, adding: “He's very knowledgeable, always on top of the case, and responded to us quickly.”” (Chambers)