John is an M&A and International funds partner with an Asia-Pacific regional practice. John specialises in investment funds, capital raising, and M&A.
John offers unique Asian experience available locally, having recently returned from 4.5 years in Singapore where he headed up KWM's Singapore office.
John is a cross-border expert, with particular focus on the real estate, infrastructure, private equity and financial services sectors. Having been extensively involved in cross-border Asian transactions for 16 of his 25 years practising experience, John has been recognised as a leading lawyer in many directories including Asialaw Leading Lawyers, Best Lawyers, Chambers Global, Chambers Asia Pacific, Chambers Singapore, EuroMoney, IFLR and Legal 500 and was one of Australian Legal Business’ Hot 40 Lawyers.
Chambers Asia Pacific recognised John as a Band 1 lawyer for investment funds for many years, noting that he is “called on for his extensive understanding of fund establishment and fund raising in Asia”, that “he is highly rated by clients who highlighted his gravitas and experience”, and that he is “very accommodating in terms of responsiveness, very commercial. He's a pretty sharp cookie." His peers commend “his Asia focus and cross-border capability, while clients attest that he is ‘responsive, technically brilliant and commercially aware’”.
John practises both English and Australian law and has worked in Singapore, Sydney and London. John became a partner of King & Wood Mallesons in Australia in January 2003 and was one of the founding partners of KWM's Singapore office when it was established in May 2015. He was Partner-in-Charge of the Singapore office until his return to Sydney in November 2019.
John is a market leader in:
- Asia-Pacific regional fund establishment – John has extensive experience of international fundraising, having been fund counsel on some of the largest raisings in Asia-Pacific; and
- cross-border investment for Asian, European, North American and other foreign clients, including fund managers and major sovereign wealth and pension funds.
John has extensive experience across a broad range of M&A transactions, including listed funds/REITs, IPOs, mergers and restructures, joint ventures and convertible bonds. He has particular expertise in M&A relating to funds and the real estate, infrastructure and financial services sectors.
- Currently acting on regional and country specific, infrastructure, real estate and forestry funds
- A major international fund manager on regional data centre fund.
- Australian aspects of Ascendas Hospitality Trust Singapore IPO
- AMP Capital Asian Giants Infrastructure Fund and Infrastructure Fund of India
- First Sentier / Colonial First State Global Asset Management on a large global infrastructure fund
- Invista/Boss Partnership I LP (self storage fund)
- Macquarie Infrastructure and Real Assets (MIRA) on its Macquarie Australian Infrastructure Trust and on its Pan-Asian infrastructure funds.
- Macquarie China Everbright Infrastructure Funds
- Macquarie SBI Indian Infrastructure Fund
- Macquarie MEAG Prime REIT and Macquarie Goodman Hong Kong Logistics Fund
- QIC on a large global infrastructure fund
- PAG on various real estate fund investments and co-investments
Investments, M&A, Restructures and Joint Ventures
- A major global investment bank on the disposal of a fund management business
- Ascendas on acquisition of its Australian hotel portfolio
- Ascott/CapitaLand and Keppel on various regional investments
- A major Canadian pension plan on its successful takeover with DEXUS for Commonwealth Property Office Fund and several major cross border real estate investments
- Challenger’s acquisitions of 7 shopping centres for sovereign fund client
- Equis on various infrastructure fund activities
- LaSalle Investment Management on various real estate fund related matters
- Macquarie on a consortium JV for their take private acquisition of Energy Development Corporation in Philippines
- Macquarie on the sale of the manager of APPT (SGX listed business trust)
- Manager on regional data centre fund.
- Singapore based sovereign wealth funds on various regional investments and other transactions in various sectors
- Securus’ acquisition of data centre portfolio (included in Keppel DC REIT IPO)
- SWF/Macquarie’s acquisition of Iglu student accommodation platform
- Various cross border transactions for a wide range of major investors and managers in the real estate, energy, infrastructure and financial services sectors
John received his Bachelor of Economics and Bachelor of Laws (Honours) degrees from Sydney University. He also received a Graduate Diploma of Applied Finance and Investment.