Parnika is a tri qualified (England and Wales, India and California), with over nine years’ experience, and has been a key member of the Middle East dispute resolution practice for over seven years, playing a significant role in major, high net value disputes with a focus on international commercial arbitration and litigation.
She has represented clients in a wide range of financial and commercial disputes, including complex joint venture and shareholder arrangements. She also has extensive experience in the construction sector, acting for various high profile developers in the Middle East in particular, on contracts governed by the FIDIC Books.
Parnika has acted for clients in a number of cases before the DIFC Courts and the Courts of England and Wales, in particular, involving enforcement of arbitral awards and works closely with colleagues on matters arising before the UAE Courts. She has also worked on arbitrations under DIAC, DIFC-LCIA, QICCA, LCIA and ICC rules.
Parnika also advises on anti-corruption and sanctions.
Parnika has been commended in the Legal 500 UAE 2020 and is described as ‘an excellent technical lawyer. She is all over the detail of cases and a valuable asset to have on the team.’
Parnika’s recent experience includes:
- Advising former senior management of NMC Healthcare and UAE Exchange in connection with cross-border insolvency and other related matters.
- Acting on landmark cases before the DIFC Courts in respect of the enforcement of arbitral awards in the UAE, including Banyan Tree v Meydan Group LLC (ARB 003/2013) and WCT Berhad (Dubai Branch) v Meydan Group LLC (ARB 003/2015), collectively valued over USD 450 million, concerning untested areas of UAE and DIFC law and the interpretation of the New York Convention.
- Acting on a first-of-its-kind case in the region, where the DIFC Courts were asked to examine the validity of a decision of an arbitral institution, the Dubai International Arbitration Centre.
- Representing Five Hotels (a Dubai-based real estate group) in contempt proceedings before the DIFC Courts arising out of an injunction in support of an underlying DIFC-LCIA arbitration involving separate entities.
- Representing a high profile Dubai Government owned developer in a portfolio of 14 arbitrations valued at over USD 3 billion, subject to the DIAC rules or the ICC rules, involving issues arising under FIDIC Conditions of Contract and complex joint venture and consortia arrangements under UAE law.
- Representing a Kuwaiti public listed company in two arbitrations, subject to the ICC Rules and QICCA Rules, respectively, arising out of the construction of the Pearl development in Qatar. Claims arising under the FIDIC Conditions of Contract for variation, delay, extension of time and termination.
- Representing RJ O’Brien (oldest and largest independent brokerage firm in the US) against ED&F Man Capital (a major global financial brokerage firm) before the DIFC Courts in proceedings relating to poaching of employees and use of confidential information.
- Representing Meydan Group LLC against a subsidiary of a Fortune 100 company in a multi-jurisdictional dispute involving two DIAC arbitration proceedings, English litigation (the High Court and the Court of Appeal) and litigation before the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey.
- Representing Industrial and Commercial Bank of China Limited (largest bank in China) in DIFC Court proceedings under a Facility Loan Agreement, and connected settlement discussions, in dispute valued at USD 5 million.
- Advising Mashreqbank (largest private bank in the UAE) on proceedings before the Dubai World Tribunal relating to the restructuring of USD 2.3 billion of debt owed by Drydocks World – Dubai LLC and Dubai World LLC.
- Member of Dubai International Arbitration Centre DIAC 40 – Young Practitioners Group
- Member of Working Group for International Arbitration, King & Wood Mallesons
- Member of Dubai editorial team for Crossing Borders, King & Wood Mallesons’ leading publication
Qualifications (only qualified jurisdictions of practice)
- State Bar of California
- Solicitor of England and Wales
- Advocate, India (Member of the Delhi Bar Association)