Have you been the victim of a fraud? In a fraud situation or a related investigation, you know you need the best lawyer on your side
Fraud can be an unfortunate consequence of doing business.
Sometimes you need to act quickly to chase down misappropriated assets. Other times you need to conduct an investigation into why there has been a failure of your systems that has left you the victim.
In either case we have the lawyers to help.
We know and understand the litigation landscape and have a proven track record of working across multiple jurisdictions in hot pursuit of stolen assets.
Our fraud team are battle-hardened and ready to take immediate action, whether by seeking worldwide freezing and asset preservation orders, search orders or other interim remedies.
We have a reputation earned over years of working in some of the most complex fraud cases, in a variety of jurisdictions. Clients use us because of the breadth of experience, our innovative use of court processes and track record of success.
Businesses aim to operate to a gold standard, but reality can be different. When faced with a problem, the Board is often obliged to conduct an independent inquiry into what went wrong.
We are experts at dealing with such investigations, with well tested procedures for evidence gathering and report writing, and exceptional project management expertise. We work in partnership with forensic accountants, investigators and other stakeholders to deliver on time and on budget.
We are also experienced at crisis management and can help you navigate through any external and internal PR issues.
Show moreShow less
Areas we commonly advise on include:
- Anti-money laundering, bribery and other anti-corruption measures
- Asset tracing
- Breaches of fiduciary or statutory duty
- Compliance and risk reduction
- Claims brought in fraud, deceit or misrepresentation
- Claims by creditors against directors of insolvent companies arising out of fraudulent or wrongful trading allegations
- Freezing orders, asset preservation and search and seize orders
- Financial and white collar regulatory investigations
- Internal investigations
Our experience in fraud and investigations includes advising:
- Marshall Capital in defending a deceit/fraud claim brought by VTB in the English High Court with a value of $350 million. This was a landmark ruling on the nature and scope of piercing the corporate veil as well as forum non conveniens and went all the way to the Supreme Court
- Representing the shareholder in a high profile billion dollar dispute in connection with a Russian chain of supermarkets. The dispute involved complex allegations of fraud and breach of duties and was fought in LCIA proceedings as well as related court proceedings in London, BVI and Russia
- Representing the liquidators of an unregulated Collective Investment Scheme and associated companies in relation to a substantial claim against the former operators of the fund, and other related insolvency matters
- Chemtura Corporation in a class action in the Federal Court of Australia alleging that they and other companies participated in a price fixing cartel
- Representing the defendant in a multi-million pound fraud claim by the administrators of British Seafood Group.
"They make great efforts to achieve a real understanding of the specifics of each case, engaging closely with the relevant parties, who as a result make great efforts to identify, analyse and uncover the evidence needed to build and prepare a thorough and comprehensive case."
"They're very responsive, very well organised in terms of their teams and communication systems, and user-friendly."