The Review - Class Actions in Australia 2018/19
KWM Partner Peta Stevenson launches The Review - Class Actions in Australia 2018/19 where our experts report on significant class action judgments as well as developments in class action practice and procedure.
A track record of innovation and ingenuity
Class actions are a well-established feature of commercial litigation and continue to increase apace in progressively more diverse and sophisticated ways.
Successfully defending class action proceedings requires particular skills and resources to deal with complex legal issues, vast quantities of information, and often litigation in multiple jurisdictions. Subject matter expertise in complex corporate, competition and public and product liability areas is critical.
King & Wood Mallesons offer a specialised class action team with the experience, skills and commitment needed to navigate a difficult path through complex negotiations and litigation.
From the initial stages of regulator investigations to enforcement proceedings and third party actions for damages, clients come to our integrated team of class action lawyers for our relationships with regulators, innovative use of court process and track record of success.
Show moreShow less
Unparalleled class actions experience
King & Wood Mallesons brings a team involved in many of the largest and most complex regulatory investigations and class action litigation, including:
- Representing a major bank in the defence of a class action brought by customers affected by the collapse of Storm Financial
- Representing PricewaterhouseCoopers in the Centro securities class actions in the Federal Court, which involved allegations of failures to disclose information concerning Centro’s debt position. The class actions comprised 6,000 group members and claims of $1 billion
- Advising Brookfield Multiplex in relation to a securities class action concerning the Wembley National Stadium project. We negotiated an enforceable undertaking with ASIC, which limited the scope of the subsequent class action. We also successfully challenged the plaintiff’s litigation funding arrangements as an unregistered managed investment scheme
- Representing British Airways in a class action alleging global cartel conduct in the air cargo industry, following our role as Asia-Pacific counsel in respect of investigation and prosecutions by competition regulators in the region
- Acting for Seqwater on the recently filed class action arising out of the 2010/2011 Queensland floods
- Representing Aspen in defending class action proceedings in the Federal Court alleging negligence and misleading and deceptive conduct regarding the sale of a pharmaceutical product.
Clients call upon our robust resources, innovative approaches to litigation and technical expertise to efficiently and successfully bring class actions to finality.
"We know you’ll identify the issues and nail them for us."
"Would easily recommend to others if they had a potential class action."
For further insight from our experienced team see the following: