Our price cartel and competition investigation legal advice is built on deep experience
It is experience that enables us to help you through a dawn raid, determine tactics for dealing with an investigation, or deliver effective strategies over time.
Our lawyers combine a track record in ground-breaking, high-profile competition and cartel investigations with detailed experience and knowledge of applicable regulatory issues. Our partner-led approach gives you cost-effective advice on cartel law that minimises business disruption and delivers favourable outcomes with a pragmatic, commercial focus.
As well as responding to enforcement actions, we work closely with you to avoid the risks these create. We do this through comprehensive compliance programmes tailored to your industry, business and the jurisdictions in which you operate.
We advise on:
- Civil and criminal aspects of investigations
- Immunity and leniency
- Defending an investigation by a competition authority
- Challenging infringement decisions before the courts
- Bringing and defending damages litigation following on from infringement decisions.
Our law firm’s cartel and other competition investigation work highlights include acting for:
- Several car parts manufacturers in the Chinese competition authorities cartel investigations, obtaining immunity for one of them and substantial reductions in the fines imposed on others
- A party in Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) proceedings for cartel activity in respect of distribution and power transformers
- An individual in the wood preservatives cartel
- Chemtura Corporation against a price fixing cartel class action in the Federal Court of Australia
- CEMEX, one of the world's largest cement aggregates and ready-mix concrete producers in the UK competition commission's investigation into this sector
- A major UK bank in response to competition investigations into rate manipulation
- Clients in connection with some of the on-going investigations relating to so-called “reverse payment” patent settlement agreements, including in relation to the European Commission’s investigations
- Flight Centre in Federal Court proceedings brought by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC), alleging several attempts by Flight Centre to reach cartel agreements with Singapore Airlines, Emirates and Malaysia Airlines for on-line airfare prices
- Bradken and two of its directors in cartel and misleading and deceptive conduct Federal Court proceedings – the first case in Australia to litigate the bid-rigging cartel provisions.
"The Competition team is client-focused and the practice has excellent depth, with senior lawyers that are able to provide agile and confident support on major matters."