Gary is a partner in our Hong Kong office where he specialises in a wide range of transactions including mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance and restructuring, and capital markets.
His experience extends to private and public takeovers, IPOs, corporate reorganisations and privatisations, and Hong Kong and PRC securities regulations. He has advised on a number of major transactions in Hong Kong and China for foreign and Chinese corporates and banks.
Before returning to Hong Kong, Gary was the managing partner of the Beijing and Shanghai offices of another international law firm.
Gary has been recognised as a leading lawyer by directories and ranking agencies for many years. Asia Pacific Legal 500 2014 quotes sources who say “Gary has 'very good business acumen'”. He has been recommended by IFLR as a Leading individual–Mergers & Acquisitions, Hong Kong since 2012.
Gary has worked on a number of high-profile transactions. A selection of his recent highlights includes:*
- China Development Bank International on its HK$1.45 billion subscription of shares in Hong Kong- and Singapore-listed China New Town Development Company
- UBS AG, Hong Kong Branch, Citigroup Global Markets Asia Limited and CITIC Securities Corporate Finance (HK) Limited in relation to their role as underwriters and joint sponsors of the IPO of Luye Pharma Group Ltd. and its listing on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange, raising US$764 million, making it the world’s largest pharmaceutical company IPO in three years
- J.P. Morgan Securities (Asia Pacific) as the financial adviser on a HK$6.11 billion reverse takeover by Shanghai Industrial Urban Development Group to acquire a 59% interest in Shanghai Urban Development, a property development company in the PRC, from its controlling shareholder, Shanghai Industrial
- Fosun International on its HK$4.88 billion rights issue
- Citigroup Global Markets Limited, Deutsche Bank AG, Singapore Branch, China Merchants Securities (HK) Co., Limited, ABCI Capital Limited, Barclays Bank PLC, CITIC Securities Corporate Finance (HK) Limited, Daiwa Capital Markets Hong Kong Limited and Ping An China Securities (Hong Kong) Company Limited as joint bookrunners on the RMB1 billion bond offering by Jingneng Clean Energy Investment Holdings Limited, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Beijing Jingneng Clean Energy (Hong Kong) Co., Limited
- Hua Hong Semiconductor Limited on its HK$2.57 billion listing on the Stock Exchange of Hong Kong Limited and offering pursuant to Rule 144A and Regulation S
- CCB International (Holdings) Limited on its subscription of US$12 million guaranteed 10% convertible bonds due 2015/2016 convertible into shares of China Financial Services Holdings Limited, a company listed on the Main Board of the Stock Exchange
Gary speaks Mandarin, Cantonese and English.
*Includes transactions completed prior to joining KWM