Gary represents clients across a wide range of industry sectors, including advising public and private companies in their cross-border transactions in Hong Kong and the PRC. He has solid experience in a variety of corporate and commercial matters, with a focus on mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and compliance-related matters. He also advises on corporate finance, privatisation, cross-border transactions and general commercial work.
Prior to joining the firm, Gary served at another international law firm for more than ten years.
He graduated from the University of Hong Kong where he received his L.L.B. and P.C.L.L..
Admitted as a solicitor in both Hong Kong and UK (England and Wales), Gary is fluent in Cantonese, English and Mandarin.
Mergers and acquisitions and Takeovers Code transactions*
- Advised Guangdong Investment Limited (270) and Guangdong Land Holdings Limited (124) in Guangdong Land Holdings Limited’s acquisitions of two property projects in Guangzhou and the relevant loans for RMB2,043 million in 2018
- Advised Guangdong Investment Limited (270) in its US$432 million acquisition of the controlling interest in Guangdong Land Holdings Limited (124) in 2017, having also secured a waiver from the mandatory offer obligation under the Hong Kong Takeovers Code
- Acted for Guangdong Investment Limited (270) in its acquisition of the Xingliu Expressway (from Guangdong Province and Guangxi to the south-eastern coastal areas of China measuring over 152km) and six water supply plants and one sewage treatment plant and five waterworks construction companies (in Guangxi and Jiangsu Province, the PRC) for HK$3.7 billion
- Advised Peak Sport Products Co., Ltd. (prior stock code: 1668) (and its controlling shareholders) in the US$310 million privatisation by way of scheme of arrangement and the delisting of Peak Sports and its loan financing in 2016
- Assisted China Electronics Optics Valley Union Holding Company (798) in its acquisition of the electronic information technology industrial park project from China Electronics Corporation Holding (85) and the issue of shares (constituting a controlling interest) to CECH (subject to the SFC granting its whitewash waiver) and the placing of shares to third parties (aggregating HK$3.2 billion), and the disposal by Optics Valley of two property projects to Hubei Science & Technology Investment Group (aggregating HK$654 million), such disposals constituted Special Deals under the Hong Kong Takeovers Code
- Advised Guangdong Land Holdings Ltd. (formerly known as Kingway Brewery Holdings Limited) (124) in relation to the disposal (very substantial disposal), through an international bidding process, of its entire brewery business to China Resources Snow Breweries Limited for US$863 million (China Resources Snow Breweries Limited is a joint venture between China Resources and SABMiller PLC)
Hong Kong Listing Rules compliance:*
- Guangdong Investment Limited (270)
- Weichai Power Co., Ltd. (2338)
- New Times Energy Corporation Limited (166)
- China Electronics Optics Valley Union Holding Company (798)
Selected recent transactions:
- Regularly advised Weichai Power Co., Ltd. (2338) in its continuing connected transactions and their renewals
- Advised Guangdong Investment Limited (270) in its continuing connected transactions on settlement and deposit services in 2018
- Advised Guangnan (Holdings) Ltd. (1203) in its continuing connected transactions on supply of tinplate products and engagement of financial services in 2018
- Advised Guangdong Land Holdings Limited (124) in relation to its construction of property project for RMB413 million (major transaction) in 2017
- Advised Beijing Jingkelong Co. Ltd. (814) in its acquisition of an 85% equity interest in a property leasing company in Beijing for RMB244 million (major acquisition) in 2017
- Advised New Times Energy Corporation Limited (166) in its two open offers and share placement (from 2015 to 2017) aggregating US$124 million, a capital reduction exercise and, the share subscription by Chow Tai Fook Enterprise group (the parent of the HKEx listed New World group) of a controlling stake in New Times with a Whitewash waiver from the mandatory offer obligation under the Takeovers Code
- Advising New Times Energy Corporation Limited (166) in its issue of unlisted notes and placing of unlisted bonds
- Advising WAG Worldsec Corporate Finance Ltd. as sponsor for the Main Board listing of PC Partner Group Limited (1184) (HK$134 million)
- Advising Citic Capital Markets Limited as sponsor for the Main Board listing of Weichai Power Co., Ltd. (2338) (HK$1.028 billion)
- Advising a PRC property development enterprise in its proposed Main Board listing (up to post-hearing stage)
*Includes transactions completed prior to joining KWM