Ashley Wong is a Partner in the Banking & Finance Group of King & Wood Mallesons in Hong Kong. Her practice has a particular focus on asset finance and aviation transactions.
Ashley has acted for clients in a wide range of financing transactions. These transactions involve different asset classes (including aircraft, vessels, motor vehicles, container boxes and other large machinery and equipment) and have various structures and arrangements (including secured financing, financial leasing, leveraged leasing, pre-delivery payments financing, receivables financing and sale and lease back etc). She also advises on licensing requirements and regulatory matters relating to these assets and financial businesses in Hong Kong.
Ashley has developed her aviation practice over the past 17 years. Her aviation clients range from leasing companies and financial institutions to airlines, maintenance and repair organisations (MROs) and freight forwarders. She has extensive experience in aircraft and engine leasing, aircraft sale and lease-back arrangements, new commercial aircraft and corporate jets acquisitions from original equipment manufacturers (OEMs), used aircraft and engine acquisitions and disposals, aircraft portfolio acquisitions and disposals, aircraft and pre-delivery payments financing, airframe and engine maintenance, inventory technical management and other bespoke commercial arrangements.
Ashley is ranked as a leading lawyer for Aviation Finance in China (International Firms) and Asia Pacific Region by Chambers Asia Pacific. She is also recognised as a Next Generation Partner, Aviation Finance in Hong Kong by Legal 500 Asia Pacific. Clients appreciate that Ashley “is not only smart but is also very diligent and well organised. What impressed me most is her unsurpassed knowledge of technical matters and good judgement about commercial matters. She can help us analyse each problem from different angles and find a practical solution to resolve it” and “even when it seems to be mission impossible, it’s always possible with her. She is able to meet tight timeframes. She has very good legal ability and strong commercial sense, thus being able to give us legal and commercial guidance.”
Ashley speaks fluent English, Mandarin and Cantonese and is qualified to advise on both Hong Kong law and English law.
Show moreShow less
- Financing: aircraft financing, aircraft pre-delivery payment financing, ship financing, financial leasing, receivables financing, cross-border acquisition financing and general working capital financing.
- Leasing and Sale and Lease Back: purchase and lease back transactions, sale and lease back transactions, aircraft operating leases, spare engine leases, aircraft sublease and wetleases.
- Acquisition, Disposal and Novation: acquisitions and disposals of aircraft on lease to airlines based in numerous jurisdictions, acquisitions and disposals of used aircraft and engine and lease novations.
- New Aircraft Acquisition: new narrow body and wide body aircraft acquisition campaigns and negotiations of purchase agreements, GTAs and long-term maintenance contracts with major airframe and engine manufacturers.
- Airframe and Engine Maintenance and other Technical Arrangements: airframe maintenance agreements, long-term engine maintenance agreements, development and supply of seats agreements, inventory technical management agreements, BFE agreements, ferry flight agreements, engine title recognition agreements, technical services agreements, aircraft storage agreements, blocked space agreements, freight forwarding agreements and other products and services supply agreements.
- Advisory Work: advice in relation to defaults, restructuring, self-help remedies and licensing requirements and regulatory matters in relation to establishment of financial leasing and factoring businesses and aviation related businesses in Hong Kong.