José Antonio is a Partner and Head of King & Wood Mallesons Real Estate practice in Madrid. A lawyer with over 20 years of experience, his practice covers all areas of real estate, including sale and acquisition of real estate assets (shopping centres, office buildings, logistic parks, hotels, student residences, etc.) and real estate companies; lease of real estate properties (finished, under construction, turn key agreements, etc.); sale & lease back; real estate financing and construction contracts.
His clients include, among others, national and international real estate companies, REITs, investment funds, financial institutions, family offices and commercial operators. Some of the well-known companies and banks he has advised include, among others, Merlin Properties, Generali Real Estate, Sareb, Silicius, Mazabi, Testa Residencial Socimi, Catella, Grupo Heron, Excem Real Estate, ONCISA, Haya Real Estate, Carrefour, Restaurantes McDonald’s, Leroy Merlin, Propinvest, Bankia, Barclays Bank, BBVA, Banco Sabadell, Banco Caixa Geral, ICBC, Metrovacesa, Acciona, Reyal Urbis, Valencia Club de Fútbol and San José.
José Antonio is recognised as one of the best Real Estate Lawyers in Spain by Chambers & Partners and Best Lawyers.
Some of his highlighted deals include, among others:
- Advice to Silicius on the acquisition of several real estate residential assets in premium zones, including the purchase of 4 buildings in Madrid.
- Advice to Testa Residencial SOCIMI on a capital increase through the contribution of a 3,300 residential unit portfolio valued at €665 million provided by Banco Santander, BBVA y Banco Popular.
- Advice to McDonalds on the acquisition, lease and / or execution of surface rights over plots of land for the construction of restaurants.
- Advice to Leroy Merlin on the acquisition of several plot of lands for the development of shopping centres and retail parks.
- Advice to Valencia Club de Fútbol on all its day-to-day real estate matters, including the sale of the plot of lands of its stadium Old Mestalla.
- Advice to Generali Real Estate on several sales and acquisitions of real estate assets.
José Antonio is also a professor of Law at the universities ICADE and Universidad Carlos III.