The International Transaction Employment Practice (ITEP) is a novel product and strategy, designed by the Employment team at King & Wood Mallesons (KWM), to offer a cross-border, one-stop shop to support multi-jurisdictional deals and projects. ITEP has proved an effective tool to provide a “rest of world” solution for transactions.
ITEP originated following our combination with KWM in 2013, but was significantly expanded and developed as a result of the Project Amadeus transaction in 2014, where we advised global investment company Marlin Equity Partners on its acquisition of global data protection business Arcserve from New York software group CA Technologies across 28 non-US jurisdictions.
ITEP leveraged the firm’s unique global geographic footprint and its experience in managing and simplifying the complex workstreams involved in a project of this type. Using ITEP to cut through all of the challenges facing Marlin’s business, by demonstrating innovation and creativity in the successful management and execution of the transfer of all employees, was how KWM added value.
At a firm level the successful completion of this transaction through the development of ITEP is an exemplary illustration of KWM’s local depth and global platform. As a result of our product innovation and offering, KWM was awarded Commercial Team of the Year at the 2015 British Legal Awards, hosted by Legal Week. Daryl Ribeiro, Operations Principal at Marlin (our client) commented:
“KWM outperformed some of the big name UK firms I have worked with over the last 8 years in the private equity space. I would recommend KWM as a partner, not just a service provider.”
Innovative aspects of our ITEP product offering include:
- a single access point to integrated, multi-disciplinary services including payroll provision, benefits advice, immigration services and translation services;
- procurement and costs management for external service providers;
- bespoke methodology for collating and simplifying complex information flow into standardised, clear know how and project plans;
- use of tailored intranet sites to aggregate and organise large and complex data-sets and to facilitate multi-party collaboration;
- access to our own database of key transactional employment issues across a vast number of jurisdictions;
- unusual global reach, insights and experience, through the KWM network and “best friends” relationships in a diverse range of jurisdictions;
- intense operational engagement and support, stepping into the client’s shoes where necessary to achieve their objectives.
The product has been tested and refined through its use in a number of subsequent transactions, with all KWM offices and local counsel in more than 50 jurisdictions across the globe having signed up to ITEP’s model, service standards and methodology. Read the case studies here.
Carl Richards, KWM London