Areas of Practice
Mr. Wang Yue specializes in foreign-related litigation and arbitration and advises on the sports, culture and entertainment industries.
Mr. Wang has rich experience in foreign-related and international civil and commercial litigation and arbitration. He has represented mangy well-known domestic and international companies in a number of lawsuits before the Supreme People’s Court of People’s Republic of China, the Higher People’s Courts of Beijing, Shanghai, Jiangsu, Liaoning, Hebei, Henan, Shandong, Shanxi, Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region, Sichuan and Qinghai, and in arbitration cases before the China International Economic and Trade Arbitration Commission (CIETAC), Beijing Arbitration Commission (BAC), London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA), International Chamber of Commerce Court of Arbitration (ICC), Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC) and Federation of Oils, Seeds and Fats Associations Ltd (FOSFA).
Mr. Wang’s prominent practice covers foreign arbitration, recognition and enforcement of foreign arbitral awards and court judgments, refusal of recognition and enforcement of the same, export & credit insurance legal services, L/C and L/G fraud disputes, international sale of goods, administrative litigation, public interest litigation and product liability litigation, etc.
Mr. Wang's representative cases in international/foreign-related arbitration and litigation include:
- Winning a series of domestic and international arbitration and litigation cases on behalf of a large state-owned coal company valued over RMB2 billion;
- Representation of a large state-owned steel company in LCIA arbitration, saving approximately USD16 million for the client;
- Representation of a state-owned company in litigation involving refusal of recognition and enforcement of an English award, reducing approximately USD30 million losses for the client, a rare phenomenon over the past 30 years;
- Representation of a state-owned key enterprise in a series of arbitration, litigation, enforcement and bankruptcy cases, recovering several hundred million yuan for the client;
- Representation of a Global 500 leading internet company in a series of CIETAC arbitrations. Although the client had lost several of similar cases before Mr. Wang’s representation, Mr. Wang won the remaining ones of a similar nature and managed to reverse the results, saving tens of million yuan for the client;
- Representation of a large state-owned bank before the Sichuan Higher People’s Court. Although the client lost the case at first instance, Mr. Wang managed to make the opposing party agree to settlement for near-zero consideration at second instance, reducing the client’s risk exposure by over USD80 million.
- Persuading the arbitral tribunal on behalf of a northwestern China-based private company in CIETAC arbitration to hold a non-signatory party to the arbitration agreement liable. It is a landmark case in Chinese arbitration.
In the area of sports law, Mr. Wang was a key member of the legal advisory team for the Organizing Committee of the 29th Olympiad, providing legal services pertaining to marketing and development activities, large-scale cultural activities and organizations, and staging of the events. Mr. Wang now leads the legal advisory team in providing daily legal services to the Marketing Committee of the Chinese Olympic Committee. He also counseled on various games or sport events, including the 2011 Shenzhen Summer Universiade, sponsorships for NBA and NBA basketball teams, the CBA League, the World Cup, the AFC Champions League, and sports star endorsement. Mr. Wang also advised on the selection of the emblem of the Beijing 2022 Olympic Winter Games and other related matters. Mr. Wang is a founding member of the Beijing Law Society Sports Law and Olympic Legal Affairs Research Group.
Mr. Wang obtained a KWM Outstanding Lawyer of the Year award for 2010.
Mr. Wang joined King & Wood Mallesons in 2006. Prior to that, he had worked at China International Travel Services’ Head Office and Beijing Alliance Law Offices. He participated in the British Bar Counsel Training Scheme for Chinese Lawyers in London.
Mr. Wang Yue graduated from the Foreign Affairs University, where he attained his bachelor and master degrees in law. He qualified as a Chinese lawyer in 2002.
His working languages are Chinese and English.