Ramón specialises in international and EU litigation, EU trade and regulatory law and EU and Spanish competition law. He has also a wide Corporate Law practice and also on Public Procurement and Commercial Law. He acts for a range of companies, trade associations and governments in the following sectors:
- Agri-food& fisheries
- Transport, particularly maritime
- Engineering and public procurement and EU funds
He regularly represents clients before both the European Commission and the Spanish Competition Authority (CNC) and before the competent courts in cases involving competition issues, including mergers and antitrust infringements (including abuse of dominance, cartels). He provides competition law compliance support to international clients and has expertise in dawn raids, cartel defence work, leniency matters and damages claims.
Experienced in trade/customs-related issues, he advises on Customs Law and negotiations of trade agreements with the EU. He represents clients in trade defence investigations before the European Commission. In addition, he advises them in legal proceedings before the European courts on trade matters as well as on compliance with certain EU policies and legislation and the WTO rules.
He has developed a niche in international arbitration and litigation practice in trade, public procurement, shipping and fishing cases on a global level, representing both private and public clients. In this context, he has acted in several cases before different domestic jurisdiction, European Commission, European Courts and the International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea (ITLOS).
Recent transactions include advising:
- Nestle, on vertical and horizontal agreements
- Argentinian Beef Export consortium, on the compatibility of certain aspects of EU trade policy and regulations with World Trade Organization (WTO) rules
- The European Institute of Innovation and Technology (EIT) on legal issues concerning EU procurement and competition and on administrative and corporate legal matters
- PT Musim Mas, one of the largest Indonesian conglomerates, in an EC anti-dumping investigation
- Thai Union/MW Brands, ANABAC (Asociación Nacional de Armadores de Buques Atuneros Congeladores) and ORTHONGEL (French tuna boat owners association) on a European Commission investigation into EU trade regulations on imports of tuna into Europe
- Sonae Industria, and Denominación de Origen Vino de Valdepeñas, on cartels investigations
- CMA-CGM in the judicial review against a Spanish competition authority’ s decision imposing fines
- Valery Karpin on a damages claim against Spain for violation of EU community law
- Panama in a damage claim action against an African country before ITLOS, and other countries and ship-owners on prompt release actions, also before ITLOS
Recent transactions also include providing counsel for:
- The Commissariat à l'Energie Atomique (CEA) before the General Court in an appeal on the interpretation of public procurement rules and EU financial regulation
- The Consejo General de Procuradores in a preliminary ruling submitted by the Barcelona Court of Appeal on antitrust and the EU principle of freedom of services
- HIOLLE Industries in an International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) commercial arbitration against Savola/Alexandria Sugar Company
- Regular contributor to Spanish editions of Global Competition Review (GCR) and Global Legal Group (GLG), focusing on a range of competition law issues
- Contributor, EU edition of the Spanish legal magazine Los Negocios – La Ley
Guest lecturer, Master of European Union Law programme, University Carlos III, Madrid.
- Brussels, Madrid and Law Society of England & Wales bars
- Antitrust, Maritime and Arbitration & Litigation sections, International Bar Association
- European Maritime Lawyers Association
- Asociación Española de Derecho de la Competencia
- Asociación Española de Derecho Marítimo