Rising to the challenges of construction
The world's leading construction companies, developers and engineering firms rely on King & Wood Mallesons to manage the risks associated with front and back-end construction issues, to successfully resolve disputes and to advise on their most challenging transactions.
Clients in sectors including transport, infrastructure, power, renewables, oil and gas, hotels, retail, manufacturing and commercial and real estate development benefit from our construction legal services.
Because we have considerable experience throughout the construction cycle, you can be confident we understand the risks involved in complex and high value projects and that we can deliver them efficiently.
Our front-end lawyers prepare construction contracts and risk management strategies for major projects across sectors advising at a local level and internationally . As a client, you benefit from our extensive experience and our ability to balance the risks of the project with your commercial objectives.
As the market focuses on achieving greater value for money throughout the construction process, effective procurement and achieving the best commercial and investment outcomes requires strategic thinking and appropriate risk assessment and allocation.
We regularly work with project developers, contractors, funders, engineers, consultants, managers and other participants.
Show moreShow less
Our construction lawyers advise on:
- Tendering and competition procedures
- Private finance initiatives and public-private partnership concession agreements
- Construction main contracts, both bespoke and amendments to international and local standard forms
- Bespoke and standard-form international engineering contracts including International Federation of Consulting Engineers (FIDIC), Institution of Chemical Engineers (IChemE) contracts and NEC/ECC forms
- Project management (PMC) contracts as well as engineering, procurement and construction management (EPCM) contracts and other multi-contract models
- Consultant Appointments
- All types of dispute resolution processes including litigation, international arbitration, adjudication, disputes boards and other contractual processes.
Our construction disputes experience includes representing:
- BHP Iron Ore Pty Ltd in proceedings against Cardno for structural defects in the design of St Cecilia’s site, Port Hedland
- Constructor of a 70 megawatt hydroelectric power station in the Philippines in ICC arbitration proceedings and Supreme Court proceedings against project designer
- Japanese contractor on an international arbitration in a dispute over contracts at the Suvanabhumi Airport in Bangkok
- easyHotel in proceedings relating to construction refurbishment works
Our front-end experience includes advising:
- Perth Airport Pty Ltd on the A$1 billion redevelopment of Perth Airport as part of a phased transition towards a consolidated airport precinct. We have advised the client, including the Board, in relation to an end-to-end procurement system and we have advised on eight of the major contracts
- APA Group on the preparation of energy performance certificate (EPC) documentation for the construction of the Diamantina Power Station, Mt Isa, Queensland and its long-term maintenance and operation, as well as providing ongoing contract administration support and advice
- Sinopec on the construction of a shallow water gas pipeline, a gas processing plant, an on-shore gas pipeline to an liquid petroleum gas (LPG) facility, commercial marine facilities and an operations centre in Ghana
- Zenprop, South Africa’s largest landowner, on the development of student accommodation comprising two towers and a podium level for 280 beds at Greenwich Peninsula, including external financing
- the Lagos State Government on design, construction and concession agreements for its US$1 billion light rail mass transit system
- the Crown Estate on construction and re- development of Regent Street as part of Regent Street’s £1.8 billion investment programme to create office, retail and residential space with a value in excess of £500 million
"The Construction team are involved from planning and tender through to delivery, advising on all topics that come up."
"Excellent all-round knowledge"
"A good range of professionals with cross-sector knowledge."