Tim Bednall is a Corporate Partner of KWM in Sydney.
Tim practices in mergers and acquisitions, capital markets and corporate governance. Tim has advised Commonwealth and State governments and a number of leading companies in major M&A transactions (including Fairfax, Macquarie, China Molybdenum, Medibank Private, Brambles, BG Group, Telstra, Alinta Energy, Challenger, Glencore / Xstrata, ASX, Stockland and Westpac).
Before moving to the KWM London office in 2015, Tim was named as an “Eminent Practitioner” in Corporate / M&A by Chambers Global Guide 2014, after being recommended by Chambers as a Leading Individual, Band 1, for many years. He is also recommended as a "leading individual" by Asia Pacific Legal 500.
Tim was the Chairman of the Australian partnership of KWM from January 2010 to December 2012, during which time the combination between King & Wood and Mallesons Stephen Jaques was negotiated and implemented. He was also Managing Partner of M&A and Tax for KWM Australia from 2013 to 2014, and Managing Partner of KWM Europe and Middle East from 2016 to 2017.
He was General Counsel of Southcorp Limited (now morphed into Treasury Wine Estates Limited) from 2000 to 2001.
Show moreShow less
Equity Capital Markets
- Macquarie Bank – Advised Macquarie Bank on an equity financing of its UK merchant power business – 2015
- Medibank – Advised Medibank Private on its IPO - 2014
- Brambles – Advised Brambles on its $448m “PATREO” entitlement offer – 2012
Mergers & Acquisitions / Joint Ventures / Schemes of Arrangement / Trade Sales
- Fairfax Media - Advising Fairfax Media Limited on the proposed $4bn merger with Nine Entertainment
- Commonwealth Government - Advising the Commonwealth Government on the $6.2bn acquisition of shares in Snowy Hydro Limited from NSW and Victoria – 2017/2018
- BG Group – Advised BG Group on Asia-Pacific regulatory clearances relating to Royal Dutch Shell's acquisition of BG by scheme of arrangement – 2015
- South 32 - Advised South 32 on its $15bn demerger from BHP in 2015
- BG Group and QGC - Advised BG Group and QGC on the $6bn sale of its Queensland natural gas pipeline – 2014
- Brambles - Advised Brambles Limited on the demerger and listing of its Recall business – 2013
- Alinta – refinancing and recapitalisation – 2011
- Challenger – Advised Challenger on the sale of its mortgage business to NAB – 2009
- BG Group – Advised BG Group on its $5.6bn on-market takeover of QGC – 2008. This remains by far the largest Australian on-market takeover.
- Xstrata – Advised on its acquisitions of Jubilee Mines and Resource Pacific – 2008
- ASX – Advised ASX on its merger with Sydney Futures Exchange – 2006.
- Xstrata – Advised on its bid for WMC - 2005
- South Australian Government on the disaggregation and privatisation of its electricity supply industry from 1998 – 2000
Corporate Governance & Corporate Advisory
- AMP - Advising the board of AMP on matters arising in the Financial Services Royal Commission, 2018
- IAG - Advising the board of IAG on matters relating to the Financial Services Royal Commission, 2018CBA - Advised CBA executives on implementation of the Banking Executive Accountability Regime
- Westpac – Corporate Advisory, especially in relation to regulatory and executive employment matters.
- Western Sydney Airport (WSA) - Advising the board of WSA on governance issues
- Telstra: Advised Telstra on disclosure, shareholder and regulatory approvals for arrangements with NBN - 2012
- ASX Listed clients – Advising on executive employment arrangements for numerous CEOs and senior executives.
- Advised various listed companies on governance matters, disclosure issues, and investigations, recently including AMP, Brambles, Lend Lease, Perpetual, Hills, RCR Tomlinson, and Westpac.
- Advised the CEOs of ASX, Brambles, Westpac, St George, GPT, Suncorp and Sydney Airport on the CEO employment arrangements, 2004 to date.
Cross Border Experience
- CYBG plc – Advised on cross-border regulatory requirements – 2016
- China Molybdenum – Advised on the acquisition of Anglo American’s niobium and phosphates businesses in Brazil for US$1.5 billion – 2016
- AA Plc – Advised the UK’s largest breakdown cover organisation, in connection with the establishment of a roadside assistance joint venture with TVS Automobile Solutions Limited in India – 2015
- Australian Corporates – Advised Australian corporates on numerous acquisition projects in the United Kingdom, Europe, the United States and Asia.
- Bachelor of Laws (First Class Honours), University of Adelaide – 1984
- Member of the Corporations Committee of the Business Law Section of the Law Council of Australia
- Not-for-Profits: Member of the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation advisory board.
- Not-for-Profits: National Portrait Gallery Foundation board member.