Suzy Madar is a Partner in the Dispute Resolution group in the Sydney office where she specialises in commercial and intellectual property disputes with a particular focus on healthcare and patents. Suzy has broad experience advising clients on the enforcement of intellectual property rights and defending allegations of infringement, as well as advising on commercial issues relating to intellectual property. She has represented clients in the Federal Court, Supreme Court and High Court as well as in Patent Office proceedings.
Suzy has experience across a broad range of technology, including IT, biotechnology, pharmaceuticals, food products, medical devices and industrial inventions. She also regularly provides advice in relation to the regulation of therapeutic products in Australia, as well as transactions involving the transfer of intellectual property and pharmaceutical products.
Suzy has particular expertise in litigious matters involving patent disputes relating to pharmaceuticals, both enforcing patent rights and defending infringement and opposition claims. She has an extensive understanding of the legislative and policy framework within which the Department of Health operates, gained from experience advising in relation to the Therapeutic Goods Administration.
- Alphapharm (Mylan) v Wyeth: acted for Alphapharm to revoke a Wyeth patent relating to a drug used in the treatment of depression. Also acted to claim compensation for Mylan having been kept out of the market.
- Australian Self Medication Industry (ASMI): advises ASMI in relation to changes to the regulatory landscape that applies to advertising of therapeutic products.
- Department of Agriculture and Water Resource (DAWR): acting for DAWR in relation to proceedings filed by Gold Coast Marine Aquaculture relating to an outbreak of prawn white spot disease in Australia.
- Laser Clinics Australia: advises Laser Clinics Australia in relation to the regulation of therapeutic and cosmetic products and services in Australia.
- Dometic: acted for Dometic Australia and Dometic Sweden in proceedings concerning a patent relating to an air conditioning unit used in recreational vehicles.
- Caltex v FleetCor: acted for FleetCor in proceedings relating to a large contractual dispute over the supply of a software platform.
- Mylan, Aspen, Apotex: acted for Mylan, Aspen and Apotex in relation to the validity, infringement and extension of term of a patent (as well as an extension of time in which to apply for an extension of term) relating to a drug used in the treatment of depression.
- Advises Pulmonx Corporation and PRA Clinical Trials in relation to the regulation of medical devices and clinical trials in Australia.
- Acted for Alphapharm Pty Limited in multiple proceedings in the Australian Patent Office.
- Acts for Aspen Pharmacare on a range of commercial agreements and disputes relating to therapeutic products.
- Acts for a range of clients in relation to acquisitions and restructuring of Australian assets in the healthcare space.
- 2002: Bachelor of Science, University of Sydney
- 2005: Bachelor of Laws (First Class Honours), University of Sydney
- 2006: Solicitor, King & Wood Mallesons
- 2010 – July 2019: Senior Associate, King & Wood Mallesons
- July 2019 – present: Partner, King & Wood Mallesons