Stuart is a Special Counsel in the King & Wood Mallesons’ financial services dispute resolution team specialising in large-scale complex commercial disputes. Stuart has over 12 years’ experience in major litigation, arbitration and investigations in both Australia and the UK.
Stuart has particular expertise acting for clients in contentious regulatory investigations and enforcement proceedings, class actions and Royal Commissions, including experience gained from industry secondments.
- National Australia Bank: acting for NAB defending consumer credit insurance class action and providing related advice, 2019 - 2020.
- ASIC Notices: responding to various notices from ASIC including s19, s912C and s33 notices, to a number of the large banks.
- Westpac: acting for Westpac defending various class action proceedings with compressed timeframes and on a variety of other disputes since 2009, including while seconded to the Dispute Resolution Group in 2017.
- Westpac, APRA Governance, Culture and Accountability self-assessment: Seconded to Westpac reporting to General Manager responsible for Westpac’s APRA-mandated self-assessment. Led team of consultants responsible for aspects of development of approach, investigation and drafting of report, 2018.
- Westpac, Royal Commission into Misconduct in the Banking, Superannuation and Financial Services Industry: seconded to Westpac to respond to the Royal Commission. Work included team set up, protocol development, coordinating large internal teams to respond to requests for information, documents and statements and hearing and witness management, 2017-2018.
- Royal Commission into Aged Care Quality and Safety: advising the Commonwealth, including various government departments and agencies. Work included Commonwealth response team set up, protocol development, responding to numerous requests for information, documents and statements and management of hearings and witnesses, 2018 - 2019.
- Royal Commission into the Protection and Detention of Children in the Northern Territory: leading teams of solicitors assisting the Royal Commission. Responsible for management of several streams of investigation, witnesses and a number of hearings, 2016-2017.
- Jemena Gas Networks: acting for Jemena on Federal Court judicial review proceedings concerning high-impact regulator access determinations, 2016.
- Telstra: acting for Telstra on Federal Court judicial review proceedings on high-impact regulator access determinations, 2015.
- Commonwealth Department of Health: defending Federal Court judicial review proceedings, 2014.
- Truth Justice and Healing Council and various Catholic Archdioceses, religious orders and Dioceses, Royal Commission – responding to numerous large requests for information, documents and statements and management of hearings and witnesses, 2014 – 2017.
- Telecommunications transaction dispute: acting for one of Africa’s largest telecommunications providers in arbitration including concurrent proceedings in Courts in various jurisdictions, 2013.
- Bachelor of Laws (Hons first class), University of Adelaide – 2006
- Bachelor of Arts, University of Adelaide – 2005
- 2019 Special Counsel, King & Wood Mallesons
- 2014 - 2019 Senior Lawyer, Gilbert + Tobin
- 2013 - 2014 Associate, Freshfields, Bruckhaus Derringer (London)
- 2008 - 2013 Lawyer, Gilbert + Tobin
- 2006 - 2007 Associate to the Honourable Justice Finn, Federal Court of Australia