Scott Singleton is a partner in the Projects Group at King & Wood Mallesons, based in the Brisbane office. Scott practices nationally in mining, petroleum and infrastructure developments and transactions, including tenement acquisitions and divestments, regulatory and tenement compliance, farmins and joint ventures, and land access.
He also heads KWM’s national native title, Aboriginal land and cultural heritage practice. He has a proven track record in reaching successful agreements with traditional owner groups in some of the largest and most complex infrastructure, mining, utility, and development projects.
In addition, Scott has significant experience assisting clients in energy, renewables, carbon and water regulation and transactions.
He is acknowledged as a leading mining, native title and climate change lawyer in various legal directories, including Chambers Asia Pacific, Best Lawyers and Doyle’s Guide. Chambers Asia Pacific 2017 notes Scott has a strong following among national and international clients and is identified as a practitioner who "can be counted on to get the job done and give really good advice on the hard issues."
Show moreShow less
Mining and petroleum projects and transactions
- Acquisition and development of the Olive Downs coal project for Pembroke Resources.
- Assistance for Nippon Steel and Sumitomo Metal Corporation in acquiring Boggabri coal mine interests, and Foxleigh coal mine joint venture arrangements.
- Acquisition of the Norton Gold Mine for Mantle Mining.
- Assisted BG on petroleum tenure swaps with Senex Energy.
- Assisted Alligator Energy to acquire uranium exploration tenure in East Arnhem Land from Cameco Resources.
- Minerals farmins and joint ventures in the Northern Territory for Alligator Energy, Laramide Resources and GPM Metals.
- Petroleum farmins and joint ventures in the Northern Territory for American Energy Partners.
- Acquisition of uranium exploration tenement interests in Qld, SA and WA for Mega Uranium.
- Advice to Peabody Energy on regulatory requirements for the development of the Wilkie Creek coal mine and associated infrastructure.
- Assistance with overlapping coal/coal seam gas tenure agreements for BMA, BMC, Cockatoo Coal and BG.
- Advice to BHP Billiton on rights and obligations under the Central Queensland Coal Mining Agreement Act.
- Advice to Glencore on the acquisition of the Clermont coal mine.
- Advising Exxaro Australia on joint venture arrangements for the Moranbah South coal project.
- Uranium tenement farmin and joint venture agreements for Mitsubishi Development.
- Infrastructure crossing deeds for North Queensland Gas Pipeline.
- Advice and secretariat assistance to Queensland Resources Council for the joint industry working group on Queensland overlapping tenure reforms.
- Assistance for Anglo American Metallurgical Coal to divest its Dawson coal seam gas interests.
- Advice to Origin Energy on tenure requirements for Queensland gas pipelines.
- Infrastructure sharing arrangements for Yancoal’s NSW coal operations.
- Advice on a jurisdictional comparison of mining approvals for the NSW Department of Planning and Environment.
Native Title, Indigenous Cultural Heritage and Aboriginal Land
- Negotiating and implementing the whole of ports indigenous land use agreement (ILUA) for Gladstone Ports Corporation.
- Assisting APA with native title and cultural heritage agreements for the Western Slopes Pipeline project in NSW, the Reedy Creek to Wallumbilla pipeline in Qld, and its bid for the NEGI pipeline from NT – Qld.
- ILUAs and cultural heritage management plans (CHMPs) for SunWater projects including the Nathan Dam and Glebe Weir raising, Connors River Dam, and the Woleebee Creek, Kenya to Chinchilla, Moranbah to Alpha, Gorge Weir to Byerwen and Burdekin pipelines.
- Negotiating and implementing an ILUA for North Queensland Bulk Ports regarding the expansion of the Port of Abbot Point.
- Native title agreement (including Land Court processes) for the grant of an infrastructure mining lease at the Baralaba mine, and an ILUA for Surat coal projects, for Cockatoo Coal.
- Native title and Aboriginal cultural heritage agreements on behalf of the Queensland Coordinator-General for the Commonwealth Games Village and Surat Basin Rail projects.
- Northern Territory Aboriginal land rights agreements for GPM Metals and Alligator Energy.
- ILUA for Anglo American Metallurgical Coal regarding the Moranbah North mine and rail relocation project.
- Native title and Aboriginal land advice and agreements for the Department of Defence in relation to facilities in Qld and NSW.
- Assisting Aquis with native title and cultural heritage advice and agreements for proposed resort developments in Cairns and the Gold Coast.
- Implementation of ILUAs and CHMPs for BG’s QCLNG project.
- Advice to the Clean Energy Regulator on native title issues associated with approvals for carbon emission reduction projects.
- Judicial review application regarding a cultural heritage body decision for the Nuga Nuga Aboriginal Corporation.
- Advising UrbanGrowth NSW on native title and Aboriginal land issues in inner city Sydney.
- Representation of various respondents and advice on interests in native title claims, including SunWater, BG, North Queensland Bulk Ports, North Queensland Gas Pipeline, Jemena, Glencore, TransGrid, and Gladstone Ports Corporation.
- Native title due diligence for the proposed divestments of the Port of Brisbane, Aurizon, the Port of Gladstone and the Port of Townsville.
Energy, carbon and water
- Assisted Rio Tinto Aluminium in the renegotiation of electricity supply arrangements for Boyne Smelter, and implementing an agreement to purchase carbon credits from avoided deforestation.
- Advice on carbon capture and geological storage projects for CO2CRC, ACALET, APPEA, Santos, ZeroGen and Stanwell Corporation.
- National Greenhouse and Energy Reporting Scheme compliance and carbon tax/trading scheme readiness advice for BG, Queensland Rail, Thiess, Anglo American, Peabody Energy, Idemitsu, Rio Tinto Aluminium and Stanwell Corporation.
- Assistance to Ergon Energy with its Solar Cities project in Townsville.
- Advice for the Marubeni and Parsons Brinckerhoff consortium bid for the Commonwealth Solar Flagship program.
- Assisted BG on a gas tolling agreement for the Braemar 1 Power Station.
- Assisted Braemar Power Project with the successful judicial review of its Gas Electricity Certificate Queensland Usage Factor annual determination.
- Water regulatory advice to Stanwell Corporation for the Burdekin Dam Hydro proposal.
- Advice on water entitlements and commercial arrangements for BMA, Pembroke Resources and China Export & Credit Insurance Corporation.
- Advice to Seqwater on obligations and risks under Queensland’s new biosecurity laws.
- 1997: Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Laws, University of Queensland
- 1998 - 1999: Articled Clerk and Solicitor, Lees Marshall Warnick Lawyers, Brisbane
- 1999 - 2003 and 2004 - 2005: Senior Policy Advisor, Queensland Government
- 2002: Master of Laws (Hons), Queensland University of Technology
- 2003 - 2004: Associate, MacDonnells Law, Brisbane
- 2005: Graduate Diploma in Military Law, University of Melbourne
- 2005 - 2010: Lawyer, Senior Associate and Special Counsel, Minter Ellison, Brisbane
- 2010 - 2012: Partner, Minter Ellison, Brisbane
- October 2012 to present: Partner, King & Wood Mallesons, Brisbane.