Sally is a projects lawyer with specialist expertise in managing government, tenure, environment and indigenous aspects of project development, implementation and closure. She can assist clients in securing environmental approvals and land tenure, negotiating state agreements, resolving community, native title and heritage issues, ensuring environmental compliance, managing incidents, contamination and site closure planning.
Sally is recognised by Chambers Asia Pacific Guide as a leading environmental lawyer, she “is widely respected for her environment expertise, sources reporting that she "speaks with authority." She represents a range of energy and resources clients and lately acted as lead partner advising Chevron on approvals and other environmental issues affecting the Wheatstone and Gorgon LNG projects".
Sally has been recommended by the Best Lawyers Guide 2014-15 in Native Title Law, as well as Climate Change Law, Land Use and Zoning Law and Environmental Law.
Show moreShow less
- Major resource companies - Obtaining effective and practical environmental approvals for major resource projects, including managing approvals and appeals under the Environmental Protection Act 1986 (WA) and the Environment Protection Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (Cth)
- Major resource companies - Advising on carbon liability and exposure under the Clean Energy Acts, the National Greenhouse and Energy Reporting Scheme, the Energy Efficiency Opportunities Act and the Renewable Energy Target and advising on cost pass-through opportunities and exposure
- BHP Billiton - Assisting to negotiate a land access agreement with three Aboriginal groups and advising on heritage issues for the Olympic Dam Expansion
- Iron Ore Mining Company - Negotiating a land access agreement with an Aboriginal group for an iron ore mining project, advising on environmental liabilities and undertaking legal due diligence for a non-renounceable rights issue
- Major Mining Company - Identifying legal requirements for mine closure and managing the associated mine closure planning and implementation risks
- Various Mining Companies - Preparing registers to assist with exercising due diligence and compliance with key environment, health, safety and heritage legal obligations
- Major Mining Company - Coordinating the legal due diligence for an AUD300 million initial public offering, including advising on environmental approvals and compliance for project-financed cogeneration projects
- Various Energy and Resources Companies - Advising on state agreements, tenure, tenement transactions, farm-ins and joint ventures.
- Member of the Environment, Water and Climate Change Committees at the Chamber of Minerals and Energy
- Australian Resources and Energy Law Association
- Member and Past President of the Western Australian Chapter of the National Environmental Law Association
- Law Society of Western Australia.
- 2000: Bachelor of Law (Hons) - University of Western Australia
- 2000: Bachelor of Chemistry (Hons, analytical chemistry) - University of Western Australia
- 2001-2011: Solicitor and Senior Associate, Blake Dawson
- 2002: Admitted to the Supreme Court of Western Australia
- 2009: Admitted to the High Court of Australia
- 2012: Partner, King & Wood Mallesons.