In 2003 Richard was appointed a joint adviser along with NSW Treasury and the University of NSW to the People's Republic of China on international tax reform.
Richard has also lectured in tax and commerce at the University of New South Wales and Macquarie University and is the author of numerous technical articles on taxation. Recently he was the contributing author to "Corporate Taxation - International" (Lexis Nexis 2007) and "Tax on Inbound Investment" (Law Business Research 2007). He has been recognised for a number of years as a leading Australian tax adviser by Euromoney's International Tax Review.
Richard has worked closely with numerous major listed companies, investment banks and fund managers. He has been a key adviser in a number of significant recent deals such as the acquisition of the Four Seasons and Intercontinental Hotel Groups in Australia. He has also been a key tax adviser to Federal and State Treasuries on tax reform and liaised extensively with Government on behalf of industry and professional associations.
- Admitted as a Solicitor and Barrister in the High Court of Australia
- Business Law Committee and Taxation Committee of the Law Society of New South Wales
- Challis and TIA No.1 tax discussion groups
- Fellow of the Taxation Institute of Australia
- Law Society of New South Wales.
- 1983: Bachelor of Commerce (Merit) and Laws, University of New South Wales
- 1987: Master of Laws (Honours), University of Sydney
- 1983 - 2004: Ernst & Young including 15 years as a partner, 10 years as a practice leader for the banking and finance tax group and a member of the E&Y Global Financial Services Committee
- 2004 - 2008: Henry Davis York - Partner in Charge of Taxation.