Philip Willox is a Partner in the Dispute Resolution team in our Perth office, specialising in workplace relations and employment law, major incidents and safety.
Philip has advised on numerous incidents involving fatalities, personal injury, and harm to the environment. He assists companies to comply with their health and safety obligations and to manage the range of issues that arise following HSE incidents. This includes dealing with regulatory requirements, managing stakeholders, investigations, inquiries, prosecutions, and civil litigation. He also advises on various health and safety issues, including legal compliance, regulatory notices, audits and reviews, contractual issues dealing with safety, the interaction between safety and workplace relations, fitness for work, and managing ill or injured employees.
Philip assists companies with their workplace relations and employment issues. He has significant experience in industrial relations strategy, bargaining, and managing and resolving industrial disputes. He has worked across many industries with clients assisting with human resources issues, including employment contracts and policies; terminations of employment; managing independent contractors; equal opportunity and discrimination issues; privacy and confidentiality; Executive contracts and remuneration; and resolving difficult workplace disputes and claims. He has conducted and advised on numerous workplace investigations and advised on the employment aspects of many commercial transactions and business restructures.
Philip has significant experience in managing the resolution of disputes through various Courts and Industrial Tribunals. He has been involved in many high-profile matters and major industrial relations and incident litigation. He has significant experience in contested terminations of employment, breach of employment contract claims, discrimination/bullying/harassment claims, restraint of employment cases, and litigation related to employee fraud/serious misconduct.
Show moreShow less
- Koolan Island seawall collapse: managing incident response, investigations, corporate regulatory issues, environmental compliance, potential third party claims and insurance claims for Mt Gibson Iron following collapse of the seawall at the Koolan Island mine
- Incident management team: managing external legal support for BHP Billiton Petroleum incident management team. Completed BOSIET course
- Mine site fatality: assisting a mining, exploration and processing company with regulators, managing information collation, witness interviews and compliance advice, including attending on site
- Safety modernisation audit: managing an audit of an independent statutory authority’s policies and practices in respect to public safety to assess compliance with proposed modernised Work Health and Safety laws
- Asbestos management: advising a publicly listed real estate company on responsibilities and obligations arising from identification of asbestos containing material, investigations with various experts, including health risk assessments, legal and commercial advice on ways to respond to various issues
- Fair Work Commission hearing: acting for a large coal mining company in relation to an application to introduce a new roster
- Industrial relations bargaining: advising a large coal mining company in relation to negotiations with CFMEU and AMWU for reduced labour costs and increased flexibilities
- Construction IR strategy: advising publicly listed rail freight company in relation to its West Pilbara Infrastructure project
- Employee fraud: advising a marine technology company in relation to employee fraud and civil and criminal remedies
- Enterprise Bargaining Agreements: advising various a mining services companies in relation to IR strategy and industrial agreements for mining and civil works
- Employment litigation: acting for a financial advisory company in Supreme Court of WA against a former financial adviser in relation to breach of deed and employment contract claims.