Peter Stockdale is our Global Head of Risk, working primarily out of our London and Sydney offices. Appointed as a partner in 1988 he practiced in the Dispute Resolution group, specialising in professional risk, insurance and reinsurance with a particular focus on complex or catastrophic claims.
Peter has a special interest in professional service firms and the wide variety of risks to which they are exposed - internally and externally - and has acted for most of Australia's law firms and their insurers since the late 1980s. In doing so he has developed a unique understanding of the insurance market at both an underwriting and a claims level as well as the complex ways in which claims become manifest within professional services firms.
Peter has been consistently nominated as one of the leading litigators and insurance lawyers in Australia in all of the major market research journals for over a decade. His clients speak of his expertise and knowledge of the insurance and reinsurance markets as well as his pragmatic approach to solving disputes and "his good practical manner".
Peter was responsible for establishing the risk management programs within the firm in Australia in the early 1990’s. Following periods on the firm’s Board, in management and as Chair of its Partnership Committee he was appointed as the Global Head of Risk in 2013 to oversee the broader risk function within the global firm. He spends time training, speaking and constantly challenging and reinventing the firm's own risk models as well as running the global firm's risk management function.
- 1978: Bachelor of Arts (First Class Hons) degree, Manchester Polytechnic
- 1978 - 1980: Davis Hope & Furniss, Manchester
- 1981 - 1984: Solicitor, Stephen Jaques and Stephen, Sydney
- 1984 - 1986: Solicitor, Herbert Smith, London
- 1986: Solicitor, Mallesons Stephen Jaques - co-founder of the firm's Insurance and Reinsurance Law group
- 1988 - 2012: Partner, Mallesons Stephen Jaques, Sydney
- 1994 - 1998: Member of Mallesons Stephen Jaques' Board
- 1999 - Executive Partner, Dispute Resolution Clients
- 2000 - 2003: National Group Co-ordinator of firm's Dispute Resolution practice.
- 2008 - 2012: Chairman, Partnership Committee, Australia.
- 2012 - Present: Partner, King & Wood Mallesons, Sydney
- 2013 - Present: Global Head of Risk
- Risk Management Institution of Australasia