Peter Stirling is a partner in the Mergers and Acquisitions practice in the Melbourne office of King & Wood Mallesons. He specialises in corporate and commercial law with an emphasis on mergers and acquisitions, equity capital markets and corporate governance.
Peter advises a number of listed and non-listed companies including companies operating in the energy and resources, financial services and manufacturing sectors.
Peter was recognised in Best Lawyers 2012 in the practice area of Mergers and Acquisitions. He was listed as a leading individual for Equity Capital Markets by Chambers in 2008 and as a leading individual in Private Equity and Venture Capital and Mergers and Acquisitions by AsiaLaw in 2007. He also won the ILO Client Choice Award in the Mergers and Acquisitions category in 2012.
Show moreShow less
Financial Services Sector
- nab: advising nab on its $5.5 billion capital raising and subsequent demerger of Clydesdale Group, with the demerged entity being listed on both London and Australian stock exchanges
- GE: advising on the sale of its Australian and New Zealand Consumer Finance Business to a syndicate led by KKR (now Latitude Financial)
- GE: advising on the sale of its Australian CDF business to Wells Fargo
- Victorian Government: advising the State on the sale of The Rural Finance Corporation to Bendigo and Adelaide Bank
- IOOF: acting on a number of strategic transactions including its takeover of PLAN B, its acquisition of the SFG Australia Group and its acquisition of DKN Financial Services by way of scheme of arrangement
Energy & Resources Sector
- Marubeni: advising in relation to a highly structured acquisition of Hallet 4 windfarm in South Australia
- ExxonMobil: advising on the sale of its downstream petroleum businesses to 7-Eleven and its co-investment interests in Qenos to ChemChina
- Energy Australia: advising in relation to its 'joint bid' with Santos for Eastern Star Gas (and related arrangements)
- BHP: acting for BHP Billiton on its proposed iron ore joint venture with Rio Tinto
- South 32: advising on its landmark demerger from BHP Billiton, initial public offering and listing on ASX and LSE
- TRUenergy: advisingin relation to its 'joint bid' with Santos for Eastern Star Gas (and related arrangements) and in respect of the unwinding of its Roaring 40's joint venture with Hydro Tasmania
- Consolidated Minerals: advising on its takeover by Palmary Enterprises and successful takeover defence of the Territory Resources bid
Equity Capital Markets
- Select Managed Funds Limited: advising on its initial public offering and listing on ASX
- EnergyAustralia:advising on the2013 sell-down of equity interests in, and refinancing of, the Waterloo Wind Farm
- Medibank: on its privatisation and the initial public offering of shares in Medibank
- Asia Society
- Australian Corporate Lawyers Association
- Member of the Business Law Section and International Law Section of the Law Council of Australia
- Australia Indonesia Business Council
- Australia India Business Council
- International Bar Association
- Law Institute of Victoria.
- 2012-present: Partner, King & Wood Mallesons
- 2004-2012: Partner, Ashurst (formerly Blake Dawson)
- 2001-2004: Deputy General Counsel, Australia and New Zealand Banking Group Limited
- 1999-2001: Senior Associate, Blake Dawson
- 1995-1999: Solicitor, Clifford Chance, London
- 1992-1995: Solicitor Baker & McKenzie, Hong Kong
- 1990: Bachelor of Laws degree (University of Western Australia)
- 1989: Bachelor of Jurisprudence (Hons) degree and Bachelor of Arts degree (University of Western Australia).