Nigel Hunt leads King & Wood Mallesons’ Perth M&A Corporate team and he is recognised as a market leading practitioner in M&A by global legal directories, including the AFR Best Lawyer and Chambers Global. Nigel’s practice covers M&A, IPOs, fund raising related matters and corporate law advice with a particular focus on resources companies. Nigel is a member of the Board and International Management Committee of the firm.
Show moreShow less
- Unsolicited joint off-market takeover bid for Aquila Resources: Advising Aquila Resources Ltd on its response to an unsolicited joint off-market $1.4 bn cash joint takeover bid by Baosteel Resources Australia Pty Ltd and Aurizon Operations Limited
- Baytex Energy acquisition of Aurora Oil & Gas Limited: Advising Scotia Waterous as the financial advisor and equity underwriter and Scotiabank as the debt financier to Baytex Energy Limited in the $1.84 bn acquisition of Aurora Oil & Gas Limited
- Kagara administration: Advising the administrators of Kagara on the sale of base metal mining projects in WA and Qld, including advising on environmental risks and liabilities, negotiating asset sale agreement warranties and indemnities, managing the transfer of significant environmental bonds as part of an asset sale and associated FIRB issues
- Acquisition of Andean Resources: Advising Goldcorp Inc as the acquirer on the C$3.7 bn proposed acquisition of Andean Resources Ltd by way of scheme of arrangement and post-acquisition restructure
- BHPB’s acquisition of UMC: advising BHP Billiton Iron Ore on the $205 m acquisition of United Minerals Corporation and associated iron ore assets, undertaking due diligence, drafting and implementing a Merger Implementation Agreement and managing mining contracts and infrastructure issues
- Aquila Resources business development activities: Acting for Aquila Resources on numerous business development activities, including:
- Joint venture API joint venture with AMCI in relation to the West Pilbara Iron Ore Project
- $430 m sale of its venture interest in the Isaac Plains Coal Joint Venture to Sumitomo Corporation
- $170 m sale of its 24.5% venture interest in the Belvedere Coal Project to Vale
- Aquila Resources equity subscription: Advising Aquila Resources Limited on the $286 m equity subscription by Baosteel to take a 15% stake in Aquila. This transaction also involved the negotiation of a strategic asset co-operation agreement
- Acquisition of Shell oil interests: Acting for Woodside Petroleum Ltd on the US$398.5 m acquisition of Shell's North West Shelf Joint Venture oil interests
- Talison Lithium Ltd dual IPO: Acting for the underwriters and lead managers of the proposed dual initial public offering of Talison Lithium Ltd on the ASX and TSX
- Foodland demerger and acquisition by Woolworths: Advising Foodland Associated Ltd on the $3.3 bn demerger and agreed acquisition by Metcash and Woolworths by way of schemes of arrangement, including the alternate IPO of Foodland’s New Zealand business.
- Law Council of Australia, Business Law Section, Corporations Committee
- The Law Society of Western Australia
- Australian Corporate Lawyers Association.
- 1987: Bachelor of Economics, University of Western Australia
- 1989: Bachelor of Jurisprudence (Hons), University of Western Australia
- 1990: Bachelor of Laws, University of Western Australia
- 1991 - 1995: Solicitor, Mallesons Stephen Jaques, Perth
- 1996 - 1998: Senior Associate, Mallesons Stephen Jaques, Perth
- 1999 - present: Partner, King & Wood Mallesons, Perth.