Michael is a partner in the M&A team in Melbourne and specialises in commercial legal matters with a focus on technology, intellectual property and data protection. He works for clients across a wide range of industries including telecommunications, media, finance, energy and infrastructure.
Michael has particular experience working on complex IT and business process outsourcing transactions, systems development and integration agreements, large scale procurements, new media and digital rights licensing and the transitional aspects of corporate transactions. He also has an interest in big data, privacy and cybersecurity, and has written articles and spoken to a number of client and industry groups on developing legal issues in these areas.
From 2007 to 2009, Michael worked for leading European (Bird & Bird) and American (Morrison & Foerster) law firms in London.
- Telstra – Over 10 years’ experience on a wide range of strategic matters, including the sale of Telstra’s majority interest in Sensis, the acquisition of digital distribution rights (including for movies, music and coverage of major sporting competitions such as the AFL and NRL), the negotiation of licensing arrangements with key enterprise software vendors, advice on compliance with major law reforms affecting privacy, metadata and interaction with law enforcement agencies and the development of Telstra’s new health services business unit.
- NTT DATA – Advising the operator of Victoria’s smartcard public transport ticketing system on strategic renegotiations with the Victorian government, including drafting and negotiating key subcontracts and supply agreements (e.g. for device management and maintenance, cash collection and card supply, storage and distribution services).
- South 32 – Advising on transitional aspects of the demerger of South32 from BHP Billiton.
- United Energy and Multinet Gas – Negotiating long term services agreements for the operation and maintenance of gas and electricity distribution networks, as well as various strategic IT outsourcing agreements for applications, infrastructure, database and security management services.
- Sensis – Advising on all aspects of Sensis’s digital content strategy, including in relation to complex copyright and data protection issues, to transform Sensis from a traditional print directories producer into one of Australia’s leading online advertising business. Drafting and negotiating agreements with leading content partners, such as Yelp, and search engine operators, such as Google and Yahoo.
- Medibank – Drafting and negotiating software licence and support arrangements for various aspects of Medibank’s business, including in relation to its telehealth business and contact centre outsourcing arrangements.
Show moreShow less
- 2015-present: Partner, King & Wood Mallesons, Melbourne
- 2010-2015: Senior Associate, King & Wood Mallesons, Melbourne
- 2009: Associate, Morrison & Foerster, London
- 2007-2008: Associate, Bird & Bird, London
- 2003-2007: Articled Clerk/Solicitor, Mallesons Stephen Jaques, Melbourne
- 1998-2002: Bachelor of Laws (Hons) and Bachelor of Arts, Monash University, Melbourne