Meredith Paynter is a Partner in the Sydney office of King & Wood Mallesons, and is the Sector Leader for the Food and Agribusiness sector practice.
Meredith advises leading Australian and international clients across a range of sectors, assisting them with complex, significant and/or sensitive M&A transactions.
Meredith specialises in private and public mergers and acquisitions, capital markets and private equity. Meredith also regularly advises on governance, securities law and listing rule matters.
Meredith is ranked as a leading Australian corporate M&A lawyer by Chambers and Partners, and is named in the corporate law, corporate governance, equity capital markets, leveraged buyouts and M&A categories of Best Lawyers in Australia. Meredith has also been recognised in Acritas, Who's Who Legal, the IFLR 1000 and PLC Which Lawyer?. Meredith advised on the transaction named as the M&A Deal of the Year in the 2010 ALB Australasian Law Awards.
Meredith is co-author of KWM’s Directions Report - a corporate governance report on current issues and challenges facing Australian directors and boards, and is a regular speaker on agribusiness, corporate governance and mergers and acquisitions issues.
- Acted for Lion Group since 1996 on a range of transactions including the sale of its Australian dairy and drinks business & specialty cheese business, the restructure of its Australian beer business by 23 inter-conditional schemes of arrangements, various joint venture investments, the sale of its Australian wine business, the sale of its everyday cheese business, its privatisation by Kirin by scheme of arrangement, its acquisition of Little World Beverages by scheme of arrangement, its takeover bids for Coca-Cola Amatil and Coopers Brewery Limited, its successful takeover bids for Petaluma Limited and Banksia Wines Limited, its acquisition of the Hua Xia brewery in China and sale of its China brewing assets, and its migration to Australia from New Zealand.
- Acted for Zurich since 2007 on a range of transactions including its acquisition of ANZ’s life insurance business, OnePath Life, the sale of its NSW CTP portfolio (in run-off) to the Enstar Group, its acquisition of Cover-More Group Limited by scheme of arrangement, its sale of Lonsec, its sale of Financial Lifestyle Solutions, the merger of DKN Financial Group Limited and Lonsdale Financial Group Limited, and its sale of Wrap Account Limited to DKN Financial Group Limited.
- Acted for EagleView on its acquisition of Spookfish Limited by scheme of arrangement
- Acted for Woolworths on its exit from its Home Improvement business, including the sale of Home Timber & Hardware to Metcash, the inventory liquidation and closure of the Masters business, the sale of Hydrox Holdings Pty Limited (the owner of freehold and leasehold property assets used in the Masters business) to the Home Consortium and the termination of its joint venture with Lowe’s.
- Acted for nib since 2007 on a range of transactions including the establishment of the Maestro joint venture, acquisition of QBE’s travel insurance business, acquisition of World Nomads Group, and acquisition of IMAN International, and its IPO/listing on ASX
- Acted for Yieldbroker since 2000 on its formation and shareholder arrangements, its successful application for an Australian market licence (the first licence for a domestic market operator) and on the investment by ASX Limited to acquire a 49% interest in Yieldbroker.
- 1996: Solicitor, Mallesons Stephen Jaques
- 2000: Senior Associate, Mallesons Stephen Jaques
- 2000: Graduate Diploma in Applied Finance and Investment, Finsia
- 2005: Partner, Mallesons Stephen Jaques
- 2012: Partner, King & Wood Mallesons.
- Law Council of Australia - Corporations Committee
- Law Society of NSW