Matthew Swinn is a recognised IP litigation specialist with a wealth of experience in the manufacturing, life sciences and consumer sectors among others.
Matthew is well known for his patent litigation expertise, having acted in patent disputes for some of the world's largest companies. His expertise also spans the entire range of intellectual property issues including contentious trade mark, copyright, trade secrets and consumer protection/passing-off matters.
He has acted for companies such as GE and Pfizer, including litigation in Australia and New Zealand at both trial and appellate level.
Matt is described in leading international directories as follows:
- “Highly regarded for his patent expertise”, Chambers Asia Pacific Guide 2015
- “Very talented...excels on both prosecution and litigation”, World Trade Mark Review 2015
- “Excels at devising the best route towards desirable commercial outcomes for clients”, World Trademark Review 2014
- “Conscientious, clever, reasonable and easy to deal with”, Chambers Asia Pacific 2013
- “He understands our business well and is willing to give advice quickly”, Chambers Asia Pacific 2013
- “A contentious specialist who 'thinks outside the box to achieve commercial goals'. Brand owners 'think of him as a member of our team; we really appreciate his approachable manner and excellent legal brain'”, World Trademark Review 2013
- “Combining an approachable manner and a dynamic legal mind, he provides excellent support and strategic guidance as to the best options open to the client”, World Trademark Review 2012.
Show moreShow less
Awards & recognition
- Leading Lawyer – Intellectual Property: Patents, Chambers Asia Pacific, 2011-2015
- Leading Lawyer – Litigation, Best Lawyers Australia, 2014-2016
- Leading Lawyer – Biotechnology, Best Lawyers Peer Review, 2010-2016
- Leading Lawyer – Intellectual Property, Best Lawyers Peer Review, 2008-2016
- Melbourne Biotechnology Lawyer of the Year, Best Lawyers Peer Review, 2014
- Leading Lawyer – Intellectual Property, Asia Pacific Legal 500, 2010-2012.
- Law Council of Australia - Member of the Intellectual Property Committee, Business Law Section
- International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property - Vice President of AIPPI Australia and Chairman of the Communications Committee
- American Intellectual Property Lawyers Association - Member
- IP Australia IP Professionals Forum - AIPPI Representative.