Mark Upfold is our Australian sector leader for infrastructure and specialises in privatisations, PPP/PFI, infrastructure, water, project financing, energy and resources and complex financing transactions.
Mark has led our teams on a number of significant recent infrastructure transactions including:
- The Moorebank Intermodal A$2B freight hub development in Sydney for Qube and Aurizon
- An international under bidder on the NSW Land and Property Information privatisation transaction in 2017
- Advised financiers to a bidder for the Trility water network of assets in Australia 2017
- Advised on the project financing of coal assets in Australia including Stanmore Coal and Foxleigh Coal 2016/17
- Advised Infigen Energy on its proposed refinancing 2017
- Advised Queensland Airports Limited on its refinancing 2015
- The senior bank groups on both Stage 1 (M4) and Stage 2 (M5) of the Westconnex Project in NSW
- An under bidder on the NSW Transgrid privatisation in 2016
- An equity investor to an under bidder on the Endeavour Energy privatisation in 2017
- For Transurban as equity investor in the Queensland Motorways acquisition by Transurban, ADIA and Australian Super
- The sale and refinancing of the Royal North Hospital PPP, car park and retail precinct for RBS in 2015
- The privatisation of the Port of Newcastle for the successful consortium of Hastings Funds Management and China Merchants Group
- The A$2.3 billion Sydney Desalination transaction for Sydney Water and the State of New South Wales
- The privatisation of Port Botany and Port Kembla for an underbidder
- The Port of Brisbane sell down by GIP for an underbidder
- The privatisation of Macquarie Generation in NSW for an underbidder
- The senior lenders on stage 1 and the stage 2 augmentation and refinancing of Gold Coast Light Rail PPP.
Mark is highly rated in Chambers & Partners, Asia Pacific Legal 500, IFLR1000, Who’s Who Legal and Best Lawyers.
Mark is "a very clever strategic thinker who applies resources effectively and is delightful to deal with”. - Chambers & Partners