Mark is the leader of the King & Wood Mallesons Private Equity team. His area of expertise lies across the full range of M&A transactions for private equity clients – MBOs / LBOs, public takeovers, private M&A and securities offerings.
Mark’s client list boasts a number of leading Australian and global private equity players, and he has represented clients with interests in a wide range of industries, including media, manufacturing, education, food & beverages and transport.
Mark maintains one of the deepest PE client rosters in Australia and is regularly sought out on the most complex PE transactions.
Mark has been ranked as a leading practitioner in Private Equity (Band 1) in Chambers Global Guide to the Legal Profession in 2012-2019 and Best Lawyers in Australia in 2008-19. Mark has also been named the Best Lawyers' 2013 and 2017 Sydney Private Equity "Lawyer of the Year".
- Quadrant Private Equity: on its acquisitions of Estia, ICON Cancer Care, Rockpool Dining Group, Fitness First, Goodlife Gyms, Jetts Fitness, Q Scan Group, Experience Australia Group, Junior Adventure Group and FTZ
- KKR Credit on its public to private acquisition of Pepper Group
- Affinity Private Equity: on its leveraged JV of Velocity Frequent Flyer (VFF) and its acquisition of TEG (Ticketek) and the subsequent sale of VFF to Virgin Australia and the sale of TEG to Silverlake
- CHAMP Private Equity: on its sales of Centric Wealth, Golding Contractors, Study Group, Manassen Foods and Alleasing and its acquisitions of Axieo, Shelf Drilling, Pepperstone and Forza
- Blackstone Tactical Opportunities on its sale of its DCI data warehouse business
- EQT on its public to private bid for Vocus Group.
- Quadrant Private Equity: on its IPOs of Virtus Health and Estia and its sale of ICON Cancer Care
- Evolution Health Care Partners: various acquisitions and sales and Goldman Sachs investment
- KKR: on its bids for Perpetual Trustees, Healthscope, Vocus, SAI, Treasury Wines, Pepper Group and MYOB
- KKR: on its acquisition and sale of Seven Media Group, Santanol and its acquisitions of Dixon Hotel Group and Sundrop Farms
- Ironbridge Capital: on its public to private acquisition of Bravura Solutions Limited
- CHAMP Ventures: acquisition of AIM Education & Training
- The Growth Fund (formerly Archer Growth): on its acquisition of NW Group and its exits of Motorcycle Holdings (by IPO), Cura (by sale) and Laser Clinics Australia (by sale)
- Denham Capital: on its investments in Pembroke Resources and Auctus Minerals
- EMR Capital on its sale of the Martabe mine in Indonesia and its acquisition of Ravenswood from Resolute Resources
- Brookfield Private Equity on its bid for Healthscope.
- Band 1 in Chambers & Partners (2012 – 2019): Private Equity
- Best Lawyers: Ranked in Private Equity (2008 – 2019)
- Named Private Equity Transactions Lawyer of the Year in Australia – 2019 Corporate Intl Magazine Global Award
- Named “Lawyer of the Year” for Private Equity in the 2017 edition of Best Lawyers
- Named “Lawyer of the Year” for Private Equity in the 2013 edition of Best Lawyers
- Recognised among peers as a “standout practitioner” in the private equity space and is acclaimed by clients, one of whom comments “He’s noted for his breadth of skills, but most distinguished by his ability to command negotiations which it comes to the cut and thrust of a deal. He can put an issue to bed quite quickly, thanks to his experience and reputation, and is a great support in negotiations” – Chambers & Partners (2017)
- "Mark leads the practice and commands an immensely strong market reputation among clients who revere his "great combination of experience, capability and commercial application," and his ability to "cut right through to the gold standard that you want, or wind you back to accept what you can live with" as the situation requires." – Chambers & Partners (2016)
- "Source of right-on-the-money advice." – Chambers & Partners (2017)
- “I do sleep better at night knowing Mark is there” – Private Equity Client (2013)
- “He is the most switched on and knowledgeable guy - clearly understood all the issues we were facing”. – Private Equity Client (2013)
- "Exceptional - particularly for the big deals." – Chambers & Partners (2017)
- 1989: Bachelor of Laws/Jurisprudence, University of WA
- 2011: High Court, Australia (19 September)
- 1999: Supreme Court, NSW (4 June)
- 2017: New South Wales, Australia (current to 30 June 2018)
- Australian Venture Capital Association
- 2012 – Present, Partner and Head of Private Equity, King & Wood Mallesons
- 2000 – 2012, Partner and Global Head of Private Equity, Baker McKenzie (Sydney)
- 1999 – 2000, Senior Associate, Baker McKenzie (Sydney)
- 1996 – 1998, Associate, Clifford Chance (London)
- 1994 – 1996, Senior Associate, Clayton Utz (Perth)
- 1993 – 1994, In-House Counsel listed exploration company
- 1990 – 1993, Articled Clerk and Associate, Blake Dawson Waldron (Perth)