Mark is the leader of the King & Wood Mallesons Private Equity team. His area of expertise lies across the full range of M&A transactions for private equity clients – MBOs / LBOs, public takeovers, private M&A and securities offerings.
Mark’s client list boasts a number of leading Australian and global private equity players, including Affinity Equity Partners, Apollo, KKR, TDR Capital, CHAMP, Ironbridge Capital, CHAMP Ventures, Quadrant Private Equity, Archer Capital, Pacific Equity Partners and many others. He has represented clients with interests in a wide range of industries, including media, health, manufacturing, education, food & beverages and transport.
Mark is regarded as one of Australia’s leading private equity lawyers, with clients praising him as "a well-rounded practitioner: very strong legally whilst also having the business smarts to navigate the grey areas". “He thinks creatively about the situation and looks at the broader picture and all of our options” – Chambers Global, 2012. The 2013 edition Chambers Global quoted a client saying that "he is one of the best lawyers that I have ever come across, world class", while others add that "he has a brilliant handle on the Asia-Pacific region" and he “brings a huge amount of gravitas to the table” – Asia Pacific Legal 500, 2012. Mark has also been named the Best Lawyers' 2013 Sydney Private Equity "Lawyer of the Year".
Practice leader Mark McNamara is singled out as "the best private equity lawyer in Australia" and an insightful and commercial practitioner who "cuts through the chaff to get us to the point where we want to be."
Show moreShow less
- Acting for CHAMP Ventures on its investment into Australian Institute of Management.
- Acting for Affinity Equity Partners on their joint venture of the Virgin Velocity Frequent Flyer program.
- Acting for CHAMP on its acquisition of Nuplex Specialties.
- Acting for KKR on its investment in Sundrop Farms.
- Acting for Gresham Private Equity on its trade sales of the The Tasmanian Walking Company and Bunker (a division of the Silk Transport Group).
- Acting for Quadrant Private Equity in relation to its acquisitions of Estia Health and Icon Cancer Care.
- Acting for Ironbridge Capital on the 'mop up' public to private acquisition of Bravura Solutions Limited and the subsequent block trade sale of its residual interest in WAN.
- Acting for KKR on its bids for Perpetual Trustees, Healthscope, MYOB, Treasury Wines and SAI Global.
- Acting for KKR on the sale of its stake in Seven Media Group to West Australian Newspapers (WAN) Holdings Limited.
- Acting as issuer's counsel on various PE sponsor-backed IPOs, including Vision, Spike, Emeco, Virtus, Estia Health and Barminco.
- Acting for the shareholders of Study Group Pty Limited (including CHAMP, CHAMP Worldwide and Petersen Investments) on the sale of Study Group to Providence Equity Partners.
- Acting for the shareholders on the sale of Media Monitors to Quadrant Private Equity.
- Acting for Ironbridge Capital on the recapitalisation of Bravura Solutions Limited.
- Acting for Ironbridge Capital on its sale of Barbeques Galore.
- Acting for TDR Capital on the acquisition of Ausco Modular from Waco International.
- Acting for TDR Capital in relation to the Australian aspects of the refinancing of the Algeco Scotsman Group, including the disposal of the Australian-based Ausco Modular assets to Algeco.
- Acting for CHAMP Private Equity on the acquisition of Manassen Foods and the subsequent exit of that investment to Bright Foods.
- Acting for CCMP Capital Asia Partners on its LBO of Independent Liquor.
- Acting for KKR on its leveraged acquisition of a 50% interest in Seven Media Group.
- Acting for Colony Capital on its leveraged investment in Challenger Financial Services Group.
- Acting for Pacific Equity Partners and Merrill Lynch Global Private Equity on their public to private acquisition of Veda Advantage.
- Acting for CHAMP Ventures on the acquisition and subsequent dual track exit of Amdel.
- Acting for CCMP Capital Asia in relation to the LBO of Waco International.
- Acting for JP Morgan Partners Asia in relation to the LBO of Air International.
- Acting for Archer Capital and Pacific Equity Partners on the MBO of Emeco International.
- Acting for Gresham Private Equity, Archer Capital and Macquarie Direct Investment on the MBO of Repco.
- Acting for AMP Private Equity on its acquisitions of Vision Group and Ortho Group.
- Acting for Gresham Private Equity on its MBOs of Raywood Communications, Eroc, Riviera and EBS.
- Acting for CHAMP Ventures on its investment in RoyalPlast.
- Acting on various ASX listed retail note offerings including for Repco and Emeco.
- 1991: Western Australia, Australia
- 1999: New South Wales, Australia.
- Australian Venture Capital Association – Member.