Ken Astridge is a partner in our Sydney office where he specialises in banking and finance. His practice is broadly based and covers:
- Property finance
- Debt capital markets
- Leveraged finance.
Ken also has extensive experience in the stamp duty area, particularly in relation to large secured financing transactions.
Ken spent 2.5 years heading up the banking and finance practice in our London office. During his time in London his primary focus was large scale cross border acquisition financing and debt capital markets transactions (including acting in respect of a number European listed and unlisted debt issues).
Ken has been nominated as a leading individual in the areas of Banking and Capital Markets: Debt by IFLR 1000 for the last four years. He is also named as a leading individual in Banking by APL 500 2011 and recommended in the area of Banking & Finance: Debt Capital Markets by Chambers Global Guide 2011 and in the 2011 edition of the Guide to the World's Leading Banking Lawyers produced by Euromoney's Legal Media Group.
Ken is mentioned by APL 500 2011 as having covered “a significant proportion of the ‘kangaroo bond’ market.” IFLR 1000 2011 notes that Ken is part of the Mallesons team that acted in all 41 of the kangaroo issues undertaken in Australia by international organisations, foreign governments and corporations “which were valued at A$18 billion ($15.6 billion)”. “Another notable transaction handled by Ken Astridge was a A$1.5 billion NSW Treasury Corporation wholesale bond issue”.
Ken recently advised the financiers with a circa $2.9 billion exposure to the Arrium Group. Find out about the Arrium Group administration.
Show moreShow less
Some of Ken's transactions include:
In the debt capital markets & securitisation
- Advising Sydney Airport Corporation in connection with its debt issuance programme including its issue of $1,409 million credit wrapped partly paid medium term notes and its C$225,000,000 4.602% guaranteed senior secured Fixed Rate Notes due 2018
- Advising New South Wales Treasury Corporation in connection with its debt issuance programmes including it's A$MTN and Australian counsel on its EMTN, ECP and U.S. SEC registered programmes
- Advising Stockland Group in connection with its debt issuance programmes
- Advising Valad Funds Management Limited's issue of convertible bonds to Kimco Realty and
- Advising the arranger on the issue of 42 year bonds funding the development of the Pharmaceutical Australia Centre of Excellence for Queensland University
- Advising the dealer group in connection with Goodman Australia Industrial Fund's A$ debt issuance programme and the Leighton Holdings A$ debt issuance programme
- Advising the arrangers in connection with the issue of A$350,000,000 hybrid securities by the funds management arm of Commonwealth Bank of Australia (Securitisation deal of the year - Australian Law Awards 2007).
In leveraged finance
- Advising the financiers to Macquarie Media Group on financing its acquisition of the Southern Cross Broadcasting
- Advising the financiers on the A$4.2bn financing of the PBL Media transaction (Debt deal of the year - Australian Law Awards 2008).
In general banking and property finance
- Advising QR National in connection with its core debt facilities as part of its IPO
- Advising Brookfield Property Trust, Stockland Trust and Valad Property Trust in connection with their core debt facilities and advising banks in their facilities with various other Australian real estate investment trusts
- Advising the bank group on the core debt platform for Energy Developments Limited
- Advising the arranger of the A$171m refinancing of Galleria Shopping Centre in Perth, Western Australia and Goulburn Shopping Centre in Goulburn, NSW
- Advising the bank group of the core debt facility for the AMP Capital Pacific Fair and Macquarie Shopping Centre Fund.
- 1993: Bachelor of Laws and Bachelor of Economics, Macquarie University
- 1999: Masters of Laws, University of Technology Sydney
- 1995: Secondment to the Federal Airports Corporation
- 1995 - 1998: Solicitor, Mallesons Stephen Jaques, Property/Banking and Finance
- 1998 - 2001: Senior Associate, Mallesons Stephen Jaques, Financial Services
- 2002 - present: Partner, Mallesons Stephen Jaques, Financial Services.