Joseph is a partner in our Melbourne office working in our Mergers and Acquisitions team. He is a specialist in all areas of mergers and acquisitions and equity capital markets with over 20 years’ experience. Joseph works with clients across a wide range of sectors including financial institutions and fintechs, telecommunications, information technology and infrastructure.
The combination of Joseph’s technical expertise and his commercial approach to problem solving has seen him work with key local and international clients on some of Australia’s most high profile transactions across:
- equity capital markets, including hybrid offerings, secondary capital raisings, IPOs as well as shareholder and employee equity plans
- public and private M&A, including acquisitions by scheme of arrangement and takeovers, trade sales and sophisticated joint ventures
- corporate governance, restructures and strategic initiatives.
- Transurban: raising over $11 billion in equity capital since 2014 via entitlement offers and placements to fund the acquisitions of Queensland Motorways, Airportlink M7, the West Gate Tunnel Project, WestConnex stake and the minority interests in M5 West
- NAB: $3.2 billion demerger and IPO of Clydesdale Bank, $5.5 billion entitlement offer, nearly $5 billion in regulatory capital issuances and capital management programs, as well as the acquisitions and sales of various investments and joint venture stakes
- ANZ: raising nearly $10 billion in retail and institutional regulatory capital issuances and capital management programs, including buy-backs of hybrid capital and ordinary shares
- IAG: sale of Community Broker Network and the acquisition and establishment of its smash repair operations (including associated JV arrangements), Motorserve and establishment of home services JV
- IOOF: takeover of Plan B Holdings, sale of Perennial boutiques and acquisition of certain portfolio investments
- Telstra: proposed $5.5 billion securitisation of nbn receipts, sale of 70% stake in Sensis and associated JV arrangements and subsequent exit of investment in Sensis, proposed Philippines JV with San Miguel and acquisitions and disposals of various portfolio investments including for Telstra Health and Telstra Purple
- IRESS: takeover of OneVue by scheme of arrangement and acquisitions of Lucsan, Financial Synergy, PlanTech Consulting, VisiPlan and Avelo FS Holdings and associated equity capital raisings, as well as various other portfolio investments
- SEEK: acquisition of GradConnection as well as acquisitions of stakes in Digitary, Sidekicker, GO1, Employment Hero, jobandtalent and various other portfolio investments
- AXA Asia Pacific: $14.5 billion acquisition by AMP and AXA SA (and competing proposal from NAB) and earlier $890 million placement and SPP
- ENGIE: sale of 28% stake in Australian assets to Mitsui and associated JV arrangements
- Danaher Corporation/Fortive: $700 million takeover of Vision Systems and acquisitions of various portfolio investments
- IPOs: $5.6 billion IPO of Medibank Private, $1 billion IPO of Estia Health, $3.2 billion IPO of Clydesdale Bank, IPOs of Virtus and Steadfast and proposed floats of Energy Australia, BIS and Affinity Health.
- University of Melbourne: Senior Fellow of the Melbourne Law Masters where he teaches a masters course in shareholder activism and shareholder rights and remedies
- Monash University: Visiting Lecturer, where he teaches an undergraduate course in listed company corporate governance, having previously taught a masters course in equity capital markets
- Centre for Corporate Law and Securities Regulation: Australian Advisory board
Joseph is also a joint lead author of the “Fundraising and disclosure” chapter in 7th Edition of “Australian Finance Law” published by Thomson Reuters. He is also ranked in the Chambers Global Guide in equity capital markets.