John Naughton is a partner in the Perth office of King & Wood Mallesons and a Partner in the Banking and Finance group.
John's practice in banking and finance is broadly based and he has extensive experience in corporate, project and structured financing. As a partner based in Perth, the emphasis in John's practice is on resource and energy financing.
Show moreShow less
- Acting for the financiers on the development of the Montara offshore oil field (winner of PFI Asia Pacific Oil & Gas Deal of the Year 2007, Euromoney Project Finance Deal of the Year 2007, Asia Pacific Independents Oil & Gas)
- Acting for BNP Paribas and The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Limited on the US$350m project financing of the Van Gogh and Pyrenees oilfield developments (Carnarvon Basin, Western Australia) for the Apache group
- Acting for BNP Paribas as the lead arranger for a syndicate of banks in the development financing of Masbate gold mine in the Philippines
- Acting for the financier/offtaker of gold from a mine in Mongolia
- Acting for Kumba Resources in relation to the financing structure of the Hope Downs Iron Ore Project
- Acting for Mitsubishi Development Pty Ltd in relation to financing aspects of the acquisition of an interest in the Jack Hills project and related port and rail infrastructure projects
- Acting for Perilya Mining NL in relation to the sale of the silver content of its silver, lead and zinc mine in Broken Hill in New South Wales with the purchaser taking mining risk
- Acting for the owners of the Dampier to Bunbury Natural Gas Pipeline in relation to the financing of various extensions of the DBNGP pipeline
- Acting for Macquarie Bank in relation to the funding and hedge program for the Tasiast gold project in Mauritania
- Acting for Epic Energy in its restructuring of the debt and structured financing facilities (A$1.8 billion) for the Dampier to Bunbury Natural Gas Pipeline
- Acting for Macquarie Bank Limited in its project financing and associated hedging of the Mupane gold project in Botswana
- Acting for Barclays Bank in its project financing of the Abosso gold project in Ghana and acting for Dresdner bank in the subsequent refinancing
- Acting for the Operator of a gas project in the Islamic Republic of Mauritania in relation to project related security issues
- Acting for the State of Western Australia in its restructuring of cross border leases in the Westrail Freight privatisation.
- Australian Institute of Company Directors
- The Law Society of Western Australia
- Banking Law Association
- Australian Mining and Petroleum Law Association.
- 1976: Bachelor of Jurisprudence, University of Western Australia
- 1977: Bachelor of Laws degree, University of Western Australia
- 1978 - present: Solicitor/Partner, Mallesons Stephen Jaques, Perth - working on a variety of corporate, commercial and property matters
- 1980 - 1981: Secondment, Mallesons Stephen Jaques, London - working largely in the banking and finance area.
- John is a regular contributor to seminars and has written numerous papers on various aspects of banking and finance law and stamp duty.