John is a banking & finance partner who specialises in capital markets and sustainable finance transactions, with a focus on clients and community.
He is listed as an Acritas Star Lawyer, has appeared in the 2015-18 LMG Rising Stars guides (Capital Markets lawyers), is included in The Best Lawyers™ in Australia 2020 for Debt Capital Markets Law and was also named in Australasian Lawyer Magazine’s 2015 Hot List as a Trailblazer - Leader.
John’s has most recently acted as legal adviser on:
- the operational establishment of the National Housing Finance and Investment Corporation (NHFIC) and its debut social bond funding and secured community housing finance deals
- the first sustainability bond program and the largest green bond issuance in Australia
- all-but-one publicly offered social impact bond issuances arranged by Australian governments since 2013, including debut deals and Australian and global market firsts
- athe first green loan by a financial institution globally (and also the first by an Australian corporate) written under the LMA & APLMA Green Loan Principles
- regulatory capital issuances (hybrids) for Australian banks offered in Australian retail and Asian, European and US markets
- the largest corporate bond issue that has been undertaken in Australia, made by a US-based ‘kangaroo’ issuer
- the dual-listed debut RMB bonds offering for an Australian semi-sovereign funding corporation
- master issuance and investment arrangements for social impact transactions for market intermediaries and dedicated impact investors
- the establishment by an Australian financial institution of an asset finance program to promote an accelerated uptake of electric vehicles in Australia
- the drafting of the inaugural regulatory philosophy paper for an APAC region securities commission.
He regularly acts on both novel and vanilla financing arrangements, treasury funding platforms and the establishment of a wide range of debt issuance programs and stand-alone bond issuances (including convertibles and hybrids) in the Australian, Asian, European and US markets.