John is a banking & finance partner who specialises in capital markets and sustainable finance transactions, with a focus on clients and community.
He has been recognised by Legal 500 Asia Pacific and LMG Rising Stars for DCM, by The Best Lawyers™ for banking & finance and DCM, is listed as an Acritas Star Lawyer and was also named in Australasian Lawyer Magazine’s Hot List as a Trailblazer - Leader.
John had most recently acted as legal adviser on:
- the establishment and implementation of the Australian Government’s First Home Loan Deposit Scheme (FHLDS)
- the operational establishment of the National Housing Finance and Investment Corporation (NHFIC) and its debut social bond issuances – including the largest Australian social bond issuance – and secured community housing finance deals
- the debut facility for the National Housing Infrastructure Fund (NHIF)
- the first sustainability bond program and the largest green and sustainability bond issuances in Australia
- all-but-one publicly offered social impact bond issuances arranged by Australian governments since 2013, including debut deals and Australian and global market firsts
- the first green loan by a financial institution globally (and also the first by an Australian borrower) written under the LMA & APLMA Green Loan Principles
- regulatory capital issuances (hybrids) for Australian banks offered in the Australian, Asian, European and US markets
- the largest corporate bond issue that has been undertaken in Australia, made by a US-based ‘kangaroo’ issuer
- master issuance and investment arrangements for social impact transactions for market intermediaries and dedicated impact investors
- the establishment by Australian financial institutions of rebate programs to promote clean energy-related finance
- the drafting of the inaugural regulatory philosophy paper for an APAC region securities commission.
He regularly advises on arrangements for corporate groups, having acted on major reorganisations for Australian and UK banking groups and on the operational establishment of new public and corporate entities.
He also acts on a wide range of financing arrangements, treasury funding platforms and capital markets products and programs for the Australian, Asian, European and US bond and loan markets.