John is a banking & finance partner who specialises in capital markets and sustainable finance transactions, with a focus on clients and community.
He has been recognised by Legal 500 Asia Pacific, LMG Rising Stars and The Best Lawyers™ for debt capital markets law, is listed as an Acritas Star Lawyer and was also named in Australasian Lawyer Magazine’s Hot List as a Trailblazer - Leader.
John had most recently acted as legal adviser on:
- the establishment and implementation of the Australian Government’s First Home Loan Deposit Scheme (FHLDS)
- the operational establishment of the National Housing Finance and Investment Corporation (NHFIC) and its debut social bond issuances and secured community housing finance deals
- the first sustainability bond program and the largest green and sustainability bond issuances in Australia
- all-but-one publicly offered social impact bond issuances arranged by Australian governments since 2013, including debut deals and Australian and global market firsts
- the first green loan by a financial institution globally (and also the first by an Australian borrower) written under the LMA & APLMA Green Loan Principles
- regulatory capital issuances (hybrids) for Australian banks offered in the Australian, Asian, European and US markets
- the largest corporate bond issue that has been undertaken in Australia, made by a US-based ‘kangaroo’ issuer
- master issuance and investment arrangements for social impact transactions for market intermediaries and dedicated impact investors
- the establishment by Australian financial institutions of rebate programs to promote clean energy-related finance
- the drafting of the inaugural regulatory philosophy paper for an APAC region securities commission.
He acts on a wide range of financing arrangements, treasury funding platforms and DCM products and programs for the Australian, Asian, European and US bond and loan markets.