Jim has over 30 years' experience in investment funds, products and services and is one of our leading financial services regulatory experts. His specialisation is in financial services, with a particular focus on funds management, wealth products, distribution channels and regulatory investigations.
Jim advises on all legal and regulatory aspects. He assists clients to establish businesses in Australia, to develop products and to obtain licences. He also assists institutional investors to invest in investment funds and financial institutions to invest in financial services businesses (e.g. investing in boutique fund managers and buying, selling and integrating major funds management businesses and life companies).
Jim has for many years been named as a leading individual in numerous directories including in Chambers and Partners for both Investment Funds and Financial Services Regulation.
- KKR: establishment of listed credit fund
- AMP: distribution and regulatory aspects of the sale of AMP Limited's Australian and New Zealand wealth protection and mature businesses to Resolution Life
- AFCA systemic breaches: responding to AFCA findings of systemic breaches
- 2 global institutions: responses to Royal Commission into Financial Services & Superannuation
- Zurich: distribution and regulatory aspects of Zurich’s acquisition of OnePath
- NAB: demerger of NAB’s wealth business
- Sentinel: establishment of build to rent fund
- Findex: establishment of several retail funds including a retail hedge fund of funds
- Qualitas: establishment of stapled funds to invest in real estate equity, preferred equity, and mezzanine debt investments
- Institutional investors: investments into Australian and offshore investment funds
- 1995 – Present: Partner, King & Wood Mallesons, Sydney
- 1993 – 1994: Mallesons Stephen Jaques, Melbourne
- 1991 – 1992: Secondment, Linklaters & Paines, London
- 1986 – 1991: Mallesons Stephen Jaques, Melbourne