James is a Partner in the Perth Dispute Resolution Group of King & Wood Mallesons. His practice focuses on complex disputes arising in the energy and resources sector, in Australia and internationally.
James has over 10 years’ experience in a wide range of commercial and corporate litigation in the superior courts in Australia (both State and Federal), as well as in private arbitrations. His areas of practice include undertaking advisory work and conducting litigation in relation to shareholder and Board disputes, director/officer duties disputes, property disputes, general corporate disputes, complex contractual disputes, schemes of arrangement and defamation matters.
James has practised in Australia for the last 10 years, including two years working as Senior Legal Counsel for BGC (Australia) Pty Ltd, a large construction and contract mining company.
- Mobilarm Ltd: Acted for an ASX listed company in pursuing fraud and bribery claims against PRC counterparties and a former employee
- Perron Investments and APF Management: Acting for the landlords of the Central Park Building in Perth in a rent review dispute in the Supreme Court of Western Australia
- Len Buckeridge and BGC (Australia) Pty Limited: Acted in defending defamation proceedings in the Supreme Court of Western Australia
- BGC (Australia) Pty Limited: Acted for an Australian manufacturing company in unconscionable conduct claims against a port authority in the Federal Court of Australia
- Leighton Contractors: Acted in a number of proceedings arising from the New MetroRail City Project in the Supreme Court of Western Australia
- CBA and Lloyds Banking Group: Acting for financiers in the Supreme Court of Western Australia in a number of proceedings concerning the Raine Square project in Western Australia and the receivership of the developer
- Confidential client: Acted for an international bank in expedited expert proceedings arising out of disputes over the sale of an Australian bank
- Confidential client: Acted for an Australian mining company in a private arbitration concerning the review of prices pursuant to a contractual review clause
Show moreShow less
- 2002: Bachelor of Commerce, University of Western Australia
- 2005: Bachelor of Laws (with Distinction), University of Western Australia
- 2005 - 2006: Graduate, Mallesons Stephen Jaques
- 2006 - 2009: Solicitor, Mallesons Stephen Jaques
- 2010 - 2011: Senior Associate, Mallesons Stephen Jaques
- 2011 - 2012: Senior Legal Counsel, BGC (Australia) Pty Ltd
- 2013 - 2016: Special Counsel, King & Wood Mallesons
- 2016 - Present: Partner, King & Wood Mallesons.
- Law Society of Western Australia.